The Student Room Group

How can you be happy alone?

Hey everyone,

So I'm just looking for some general advice I guess. Basically I moved to a new city for work about 6 months ago. So far the job is going well, I like the city, have made lots of new friends etc. I decided to live alone as I've always wanted to try it and thought now was the perfect opportunity to do it. That's been really good too overall, I'm not as lonely as I thought I would be etc.

The only issue is when I'm not busy like with work or seeing friends etc and I'm just kinda by myself, I do start to feel sort of lonely or lost with what to do with myself. Also I'm single after a heartbreak which was around 2 years ago now, so I'm pretty much over that, but I still get times of feeling really lonely and wishing I had someone etc.

Also being alone I tend to overthink and start to feel anxious at times, and it's hard to switch off from that when there's no one around to distract me.

I suppose I'm just looking for some help on how to be more happy and comfortable being by myself, in the physical sense of living and being alone but also in the sense of not being in a relationship.

Anyone have similar experiences or advice on how to feel better generally?

Thanks!
Ah I'm sorry you are so down! It does get better. It takes time to get used to your own company. I moved country to quite a remote place so I understand. My life savers have been social media for meeting people with similar interests or joining clubs or book groups (depending on what you like obviously)

When home alone, it's good to have a hobby! I read, write short stories, knit and paint (although I'm not very good at painting haha) but just things that calm me and keep me occupied.
Have you tried prayer?
Original post by white_o
Hey everyone,

So I'm just looking for some general advice I guess. Basically I moved to a new city for work about 6 months ago. So far the job is going well, I like the city, have made lots of new friends etc. I decided to live alone as I've always wanted to try it and thought now was the perfect opportunity to do it. That's been really good too overall, I'm not as lonely as I thought I would be etc.

The only issue is when I'm not busy like with work or seeing friends etc and I'm just kinda by myself, I do start to feel sort of lonely or lost with what to do with myself. Also I'm single after a heartbreak which was around 2 years ago now, so I'm pretty much over that, but I still get times of feeling really lonely and wishing I had someone etc.

Also being alone I tend to overthink and start to feel anxious at times, and it's hard to switch off from that when there's no one around to distract me.

I suppose I'm just looking for some help on how to be more happy and comfortable being by myself, in the physical sense of living and being alone but also in the sense of not being in a relationship.

Anyone have similar experiences or advice on how to feel better generally?

Thanks!

Living alone in a new city can sometimes bring moments of loneliness and overthinking. However, being happy and comfortable alone doesn't require being in a relationship. Here are a few suggestions to feel better: engage in hobbies, practice self-care, stay connected with loved ones, and consider therapy. Finding happiness within yourself is essential for contentment in any situation. Embrace the experience of living alone and continue to grow and find joy in your own company.

Quick Reply

Latest