The Student Room Group

Autism in Sixth Form

I’m in Year 13 and I’ve suspected that I might be autistic for quite a while but I didn’t do anything. My friend asked me to get checked because a lot of people have noticed certain behaviours from me and she thought that it may be autism. I’m finding it hard to cope with schoolwork and daily life because of sensory overload and trying to seem normal. I want to seek help now. I called my surgery, but it’s gonna be a while to get a GP appointment. I’ve heard that it takes a while with anything mental health related unless you go private. Who should I approach? What should I do? I’m just struggling a lot and it doesn’t help that my exams are coming soon. I used to be a high achiever but things are starting to slip and my teachers are asking why and I can’t really explain what I’m going through without being certain that it’s autism. Also I don’t really want anyone to know if I am because I’m silly and care about my reputation as the smart, talented can-do person whose life is all sunshines and rainbows. Sorry.
You need to start by going through gp and then from there weigh up your options. They can refer through nhs but as others have said it will take much longer if you don’t go privately.
There’s nothing wrong with having a diagnosis of autism, for many it’s actually a relief. It’s up to you who you choose to tell if you do get a diagnosis but that doesn’t define your or change anything about you. However it could help you get adjustments in place to deal with the sensory overload etc for when you get to uni. It could also help you get adjustments in place for DSA which can be very beneficial at uni or at the very least some free stuff!
You will have to wait for the GP appointment however I did the assessment through Physcariaty UK (through the NHS) and it took about 3 months from referal to the assessment I think it has gone up to 4 but I recently found them after being on the waiting list of 2 and a half years so it was a massive relif as it was only half the wait. They ask you and your parents to fill in questionnaires and then there is a 1 hour assessment online which they ask a few more questions. They are funded by the NHS so it is the same as the NHS diagnosis. Good Luck, message me if you need any more information. Also I would definietly write down a list of traits for the doctors so they know why you think you need the referal. Also don't ask for one (that might seem werid). What we did is we phoned them up and said that I think I could be autistic due to these reasons and read off the list and the doctor asked a couple more questions and said I agree and refered me but don't go in asking for a referal. Good luck again
Also once on the waiting list for the assessment speak with the SEND team about adjustements they can make, they don't legally have to make any as you don't have a diagnosis and they won't be able to offer all of them but they should be able to offer some. Also have you tried wearing a pair of noise cancelling headphones in communical areas at school to help reduce sensory overload
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
If you do not get dianoised then you are not autistic???!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?1111111?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????11

??
Original post by Jess_Lomas
??

???
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
???

Your statement isn't true so I'm guessing that's why you put the question marks but why did you put exclamation marks and no one said that so why would you put that as a comment. When communicating with autistic or people with probable autism it is very important explain clearly to help with interpretation
Original post by ALEreapp
You need to start by going through gp and then from there weigh up your options. They can refer through nhs but as others have said it will take much longer if you don’t go privately.
There’s nothing wrong with having a diagnosis of autism, for many it’s actually a relief. It’s up to you who you choose to tell if you do get a diagnosis but that doesn’t define your or change anything about you. However it could help you get adjustments in place to deal with the sensory overload etc for when you get to uni. It could also help you get adjustments in place for DSA which can be very beneficial at uni or at the very least some free stuff!

I don’t really have money to go private. I heard NHS takes a while though. My exams are in the end of May. Honestly, it’s not looking good. The whole of sixth form, I’ve been struggling. It was probably because of the change from secondary to sixth form and the fact that it takes me a while to adjust to things. It really doesn’t help when the teachers think you’re this model pupil from secondary that just went downhill during sixth form because then they treat you quite harshly and assume it’s just personal life issues or excuses. I did experience it during secondary school too, it’s just that I was able to hide it better because I found it easier to cope and O had more time to adjust myself. I don’t think they would give me adjustments because I’m not diagnosed yet. I don’t think I’d be diagnosed in time for special consideration in exams. Do you know if you could apply for mitigating circumstances after A-level exams, even though you won’t be retaking it?
You will have to wait for the GP appointment however I did the assessment through Physcariaty UK (through the NHS) and it took about 3 months from referal to the assessment I think it has gone up to 4 but I recently found them after being on the waiting list of 2 and a half years so it was a massive relif as it was only half the wait. They ask you and your parents to fill in questionnaires and then there is a 1 hour assessment online which they ask a few more questions. They are funded by the NHS so it is the same as the NHS diagnosis. Good Luck, message me if you need any more information. Also I would definietly write down a list of traits for the doctors so they know why you think you need the referal. Also don't ask for one (that might seem werid). What we did is we phoned them up and said that I think I could be autistic due to these reasons and read off the list and the doctor asked a couple more questions and said I agree and refered me but don't go in asking for a referal. Good luck again

Hi,

How much did it cost? Also did you get any adjustments /interventions in daily life, school or work that has helped you to deal with it? I’m sorry for all the questions, there’s just not a lot of people I could ask. Thanks.
Also once on the waiting list for the assessment speak with the SEND team about adjustements they can make, they don't legally have to make any as you don't have a diagnosis and they won't be able to offer all of them but they should be able to offer some. Also have you tried wearing a pair of noise cancelling headphones in communical areas at school to help reduce sensory overload

So do you just tell your teacher? I don’t really know how this works. I’m in Year 13 and I don’t know who to approach in school and also if they would care because I’m taking my exams in May and June and then leaving. Hoping for some sort of adjustment. Anything that could help really. Noise cancelling headphones help a little but as soon as I take it off, the sounds come back louder than they normally would. Sometimes they also hurt my ears and head and make me dizzy so it’s not really optimal. Also when it does work, I still get like overload but like with vision, I don’t know if there’s a word for it, I just call it visual overload. I find it hard to explain and people don’t really relate to it to be honest. Even like contact with table surface is aaah!!!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

How much did it cost? Also did you get any adjustments /interventions in daily life, school or work that has helped you to deal with it? I’m sorry for all the questions, there’s just not a lot of people I could ask. Thanks.

So because the doctor did the referral they have NHS funded ones which meant that I ended up not paying anything
I've been referred for an occupational therapist and am able to get things like free travel on public transport and cheaper entry tickers but adjustments in daily life is just figuring out what works for you whether your autistic or not sort of thing
I've done the SAANS autism course which is online which had good coping strategies even if waiting for an assessment and it is youtube videos so don't need to have an official diagnosis to do it
For school, I wasn't formally diagnosed in sixth form but they made adjustments due to the suspected autism but I did have a formal diagnosis of anxiety and depression
As for uni I've got loads of really good adjustments and a personalised plan as well as the DSA providing mentoring and software
I haven't had a job yet so don't know about adjustments in the workplace yet but the support and understanding so far has been amazing
So do you just tell your teacher? I don’t really know how this works. I’m in Year 13 and I don’t know who to approach in school and also if they would care because I’m taking my exams in May and June and then leaving. Hoping for some sort of adjustment. Anything that could help really. Noise cancelling headphones help a little but as soon as I take it off, the sounds come back louder than they normally would. Sometimes they also hurt my ears and head and make me dizzy so it’s not really optimal. Also when it does work, I still get like overload but like with vision, I don’t know if there’s a word for it, I just call it visual overload. I find it hard to explain and people don’t really relate to it to be honest. Even like contact with table surface is aaah!!!

So I had a formal diagnosis of anxiety and depression and had proof I was on the waiting list for an assessment and the school agreed I was autistic so was on the SEND register for all of it but it was mainly autism support but I don't know if I would have got it without a formal diagnosis of mental health problems.
So the SEND department put a document and note on registers so teachers knew without me telling them
Do you mean exam adjustments because unfortunately I think your too late to apply for them
As for classroom adjustments no I don't think your too late if you get the proof your on the list for an assessment. Yeah, the sensory issues were definitely an issue for me, I wore noise cancelling headphones and the tip from me would be able to find the ones that work best for me. For the visual overstimulation (are you in the same room for the same lessons). You could ask for photos of the rooms as I've found this helps as you know what to expect going into the room also try this for new rooms
I don’t really have money to go private. I heard NHS takes a while though. My exams are in the end of May. Honestly, it’s not looking good. The whole of sixth form, I’ve been struggling. It was probably because of the change from secondary to sixth form and the fact that it takes me a while to adjust to things. It really doesn’t help when the teachers think you’re this model pupil from secondary that just went downhill during sixth form because then they treat you quite harshly and assume it’s just personal life issues or excuses. I did experience it during secondary school too, it’s just that I was able to hide it better because I found it easier to cope and O had more time to adjust myself. I don’t think they would give me adjustments because I’m not diagnosed yet. I don’t think I’d be diagnosed in time for special consideration in exams. Do you know if you could apply for mitigating circumstances after A-level exams, even though you won’t be retaking it?

Unfortunately no you won't be able to apply for mitigating circumstances for the exams
Hiya.
Very similar situation i had. I struggled with anxiety depression from year 10 however from about sixth form i thought it was all autism and there was hints from professionals i was already involved with die to anxiety depression that it could actually be autism bit it was kinda brushed under carpet.

I used to have regular meetings with an learning support mentor and i mentioned it to her that i feel i have Autism explained why and she spoke to the senco and it was the senco that really pushed for it. She contacted CAMHS who i was already under and told them to the full assessment for autism including schools input. So if was a quick turn around. I was in year 13 March time when i got my Autism diagnosis. I guess i was lucky because i was already recieving some supper anyway from the anxiety point of view.

You can mention it to your teachers senco perhaps and see what they say. Or maybe when they actually see you having a sensory overload they may put two and two together.

Quick Reply

Latest