The Student Room Group

Do I have anxiety?/Exam stress/Panic

Recently I’ve been going through a lot of exam stress I’ve been getting really panicked about silly things, for example I had a really bad stomach during my exams and my stomach was rumbling so much that I started to have a complete meltdown. I’ve never experienced a panic attack before it was my first time . I felt my heart beating so fast to the point I felt like fainting and that it was going to explode. I was so embarrassed to the point I started to feel really hot and I felt like everyone was watching me. I just wanted to disappear in an instant maybe even felt like dying. After that experience of a panic attack, I’ve been having really bad insomnia of it happening again. I have exams coming in a month and I don’t think I can be able to go to the exam and not break down. I’m so scared to the point I have butterflies in my stomach. I know it’s a silly thing but I honestly don’t think I can do it. I’ve done research on breathing exercises,drinking more water changing my diet but it doesn’t work. I don’t know what to do, I want to ask for help but I’m to embarrass. I don’t know whether I have anxiety or not because I’m not someone who likes to self diagnose.
Original post by Anonymous
Recently I’ve been going through a lot of exam stress I’ve been getting really panicked about silly things, for example I had a really bad stomach during my exams and my stomach was rumbling so much that I started to have a complete meltdown. I’ve never experienced a panic attack before it was my first time . I felt my heart beating so fast to the point I felt like fainting and that it was going to explode. I was so embarrassed to the point I started to feel really hot and I felt like everyone was watching me. I just wanted to disappear in an instant maybe even felt like dying. After that experience of a panic attack, I’ve been having really bad insomnia of it happening again. I have exams coming in a month and I don’t think I can be able to go to the exam and not break down. I’m so scared to the point I have butterflies in my stomach. I know it’s a silly thing but I honestly don’t think I can do it. I’ve done research on breathing exercises,drinking more water changing my diet but it doesn’t work. I don’t know what to do, I want to ask for help but I’m to embarrass. I don’t know whether I have anxiety or not because I’m not someone who likes to self diagnose.

What's your age bud?
Hello, I know this is from a while ago but I am currently in exam season so I can relate. My stomach grumbles so much during exams, even if I have eaten. I have learnt to accept it because focusing on it will distract me from my work, and realistically everyone is concentrating on their exam so they don't have time to be listening out for your stomach. I also get really bad anxiety before exams, and used to throw up before them so I used to stress out so much during exam season. This time, I just convinced myself that stress makes everything worse, and everything will be fine. I know its easier said than done!
Yes you were anxious in that moment and maybe other times. Being anxious is a natural feeling and happens to everyone
Anxiety is when it stops you doing daily tasks for a elongated period and caused by typically non stressful things rather than exams which unfortunfortunately provoke that feeling in lots

I know it's been a long time I hope if the feelings have continued then you have been able to speak to someone about it and if they have gone away that's even better

Quick Reply

Latest