The Student Room Group

Anyone successfully changed courses at Oxford University?

I'm currently a first year undergraduate at Oxford University but have had my studies suspended due to psychosis. I'm hoping that when I go back I can study another course, as not only would I find it more interesting but I also think my current course negatively impacts my mental health. Has anyone managed to change courses at Oxford? And how can you do it? I've heard about lots of people who have changed course at Oxford, but I'm not sure what's the best way to go about it. Any advice would be appreciated.
Hiya! I didn’t get to change my course at Oxford but I did try, and I think your best bet would be to speak to your personal tutor first, because they need to be aware of any of your decisions, then both the department of the course you’re currently studying AND the department of the course you want to swap to. See how that goes, and then they should be able to direct you further. Though I will say, it can sometimes be a bit tough to swap, depending on the situation. For me, I wasn’t able to successfully swap because even though the two courses were similar, they were different and competitive enough that I would have to completely reapply to the other course, which I obviously didn’t want to do haha. But, I think that since you have mental health related reasons, that will most definitely be considered, so I hope it all goes well for you!
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I'm worried about the course I want to do being so competitive that there won't be an extra space for me. But I have to try I guess.
Original post by Anonymous
Hiya! I didn’t get to change my course at Oxford but I did try, and I think your best bet would be to speak to your personal tutor first, because they need to be aware of any of your decisions, then both the department of the course you’re currently studying AND the department of the course you want to swap to. See how that goes, and then they should be able to direct you further. Though I will say, it can sometimes be a bit tough to swap, depending on the situation. For me, I wasn’t able to successfully swap because even though the two courses were similar, they were different and competitive enough that I would have to completely reapply to the other course, which I obviously didn’t want to do haha. But, I think that since you have mental health related reasons, that will most definitely be considered, so I hope it all goes well for you!
Original post by Student2000__
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I'm worried about the course I want to do being so competitive that there won't be an extra space for me. But I have to try I guess.

Of course, it never hurts to try!
I'm currently a first year undergraduate at Oxford University but have had my studies suspended due to psychosis. I'm hoping that when I go back I can study another course, as not only would I find it more interesting but I also think my current course negatively impacts my mental health. Has anyone managed to change courses at Oxford? And how can you do it? I've heard about lots of people who have changed course at Oxford, but I'm not sure what's the best way to go about it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Yes. Talk first to tutors and explain why you want to.
Have you changed course or is this someone you know who has changed course? And how did you/they do it? What should I say?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yes. Talk first to tutors and explain why you want to.
Have you changed course or is this someone you know who has changed course? And how did you/they do it? What should I say?

Several people I knew.

I would suggest write down some points before you talk to them. The obvious things are:

- difficulties you are having with the current course
- any difficulties in your life that may affect doing it
- what attracts you about an alternative course
- why you feel you would do better at the alternative course
- why this isn't a whim but a serious intention

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending