This poll is closed

Which Olympiad/ Kangaroo did you do?

Cayley Olympiad 0%
Hamilton Olympiad 18%
Maclaurin Olympiad 41%
Grey Kangaroo 0%
Pink Kangaroo41%
Total votes: 17
To all of those who did any of the Olympiads or Kangaroos today. How did you find them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did the Maclaurin Olympiad and thought it was slightly easier than expected.
I did the pink Kanagaroo and it was pretty good actually. Better than last year’s I felt
Reply 3
Original post by Omnibluey

I found the first 5 questions very easy relative to other years. They took me ~1 hour 20 min for full proofs. Was unable to make any real progress on Q6
Reply 4
I had a look at q6 at the beginning and put a cross next to it as looked the hardest by miles. I managed to do them all apart from q3 and q6. For the one about the beads in a ratio did it want all possible number of red beads or just the highest value? I read it as just the highest value but then realised after they could have ment all possible values.
Its worth noting that the intermediate kangaroos are international competitions which are hosted over the next couple of weeks in different countries so its best not to discuss actual questions/solutions until the papers/answers are posted on the ukmt.

How many questions did you complete. Did you get Q3 or Q6 they were so hard :frown:
Original post by Harik0
I found the first 5 questions very easy relative to other years. They took me ~1 hour 20 min for full proofs. Was unable to make any real progress on Q6

How d'yu do Q3??
Reply 8
Original post by TheKnightmare24
How d'yu do Q3??

I didn't manage to do Q3 or Q6
Reply 9
Original post by TheKnightmare24
How d'yu do Q3??

w.l.o.g assume it is a unit square (you can do x units instead). Let the length DX be y. You can find the distance from C to X in terms of y. Then, find the radius (you get sqrt(1+y^2)/2). Since the semicircle only touches AB, AB is a tangent, so the radius is perpendicular to it, so it is vertical. You can find the distance from O to AB since O is the midpoint of CX. I did this all using co-ordinates, which made it easier. You end up with sqrt(1+y^2)/2=1-(y/2) and that is easy to do. The result is that AX: DX is 1:3 (y=0.75)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Harik0
w.l.o.g assume it is a unit square (you can do x units instead). Let the length DX be y. You can find the distance from C to X in terms of y. Then, find the radius (you get sqrt(1+y^2)/2). Since the semicircle only touches AB, AB is a tangent, so the radius is perpendicular to it, so it is vertical. You can find the distance from O to AB since O is the midpoint of CX. I did this all using co-ordinates, which made it easier. You end up with sqrt(1+y^2)/2=1-(y/2) and that is easy to do. The result is that AX: DX is 1:3 (y=0.75)

Ye thats how I did Q3
I didn't manage to do Q3 or Q6

I though Q6 was pretty easy but discussing with some Trinity Camp qualifiers, the problem in their consensus was that it was the hardest ever Maclaurin Olympiad problem

The idea behind the solution is to find a valid construction to generate solutions. If you are familiar with the proof there are infinitely many primitive pythagorean triples you may recognise the identity (m^2 + n^2)^2 = (2mn)^2 + (m^2 - n^2)^2 which holds for all integers m,n>0.

A very similar construction idea is required for Q6. What i did was notice that (k^n + 1)^{mn+1} = ((k^n + 1)^n)^m + (k(k^n + 1)^m)^n and hence for all integers k>0 we can generate infinitely many solutions. This construction I found quite quickly (perhaps due to intuition and luck) but i just tried letting y = x^n (an idea i got from looking at n=1,2,3) and it was fairly straight forwards from there to get x = k^n + 1, y = (k^n + 1)^n and z = k(k^n + 1)^m

Another construction (which is easier to find) involves the crucial observation that 2^{mn+1} = (2^n)^m + (2^m)^n. We can then multiply both sides by k^{mn(mn+1)} for some integer k>0 to get that k^{mn(mn+1)}2^{mn+1} = k^{mn(mn+1)}(2^n)^m + k^{mn(mn+1)}(2^m)^n which simplifies to (2*k^{mn})^{mn+1} = ((2^n)*(k^{n(mn+1)})^m + ((2^m)*(k^{m(mn+1)})^n which gives that x = 2*k^{mn}, y = (2^n)*(k^{n(mn+1)} and z = (2^m)*(k^{m(mn+1)}

I think the second construction is definitely easier to find with logic but the first is more concise. I think the problem was probably completely unapproachable if you had no familiarity with these construction ideas from problems since induction or recurrence relations (like for pell equations) as far as I can tell can't solve the problem
(edited 1 year ago)
I'm curious to how other people solved Q5. I'm pretty sure that the correct approach involved a proof by contradiction in 2 cases: Case 1 = 2 corners on the same side have the same colour and Case 2 = 2 corners on the same diagonal have the same colour

I was fairly short on time for this question so I only got the first case done (in a kind of rushed but valid way)

I think, thinking about the problem now the easiest way to reach a contradiction is to first observe that we must have 4 squares of each colour since we can apply the pigeon-hole principal on the 4 non-overlapping 2x2 squares. Then in each case you can show if the 2 corners have the same colour then the grid will have 5 of one colour.

In the paper in the first case i made the observation that each square must have a different colour to each adjacent and diagonal square. Then I WLOG chose the colour of all the the squares on the side where the corners were the same colour e.g R B G R and then deduced that the 2 squares below the "R" and "G" must both be Y but this is a contradiction since they are adjacent. Then i ran out of time for case 2...
Reply 13
For Q5 I used the logic of if you take a 2x4 subsection of it then the top row contains 2 colours and then the row below contains the other 2 colours so the row below contains the other 2 colours (1st set of colours) so the row below contains the other 2 colours (the 2nd set of colours) because of this the top row and bottom row acts as if it was a magic square. So we can remove the middle 2 rows. Repeat the same logic to columns with a 4x2 subsection and then you only have the corners left in a magic square so must have all 4 colours
For Q5 I used the logic of if you take a 2x4 subsection of it then the top row contains 2 colours and then the row below contains the other 2 colours so the row below contains the other 2 colours (1st set of colours) so the row below contains the other 2 colours (the 2nd set of colours) because of this the top row and bottom row acts as if it was a magic square. So we can remove the middle 2 rows. Repeat the same logic to columns with a 4x2 subsection and then you only have the corners left in a magic square so must have all 4 colours

Interesting approach. I was considering assigning the numbers 1 to 4 for each colour but i didn't see the magic square idea
What scores are people going for. I think i've got 10/10/10/8/5/10 (because on Q4 i wrote 72/2 = 38 and completely forgot that 9 and 25 were factors of 225 so i missed 2 was a solution lol...)
Reply 16
I'm guessing 10/9/0/6/10/0
For myself but seeing as it's my first time doing an Olympiad my guesses could be way off on the partial marks ones
I'm guessing 10/9/0/6/10/0
For myself but seeing as it's my first time doing an Olympiad my guesses could be way off on the partial marks ones

Ye from experience on some questions when i thought i'd get 3 maybe 4 i got 0 (and on one where i thought i'd get 10 i got 3 cuz i literally misread the question and labeled points the wrong way around on my diagram even though everything else was right).
Reply 18
Original post by epii+1=0
I though Q6 was pretty easy but discussing with some Trinity Camp qualifiers, the problem in their consensus was that it was the hardest ever Maclaurin Olympiad problem

The idea behind the solution is to find a valid construction to generate solutions. If you are familiar with the proof there are infinitely many primitive pythagorean triples you may recognise the identity (m^2 + n^2)^2 = (2mn)^2 + (m^2 - n^2)^2 which holds for all integers m,n>0.

A very similar construction idea is required for Q6. What i did was notice that (k^n + 1)^{mn+1} = ((k^n + 1)^n)^m + (k(k^n + 1)^m)^n and hence for all integers k>0 we can generate infinitely many solutions. This construction I found quite quickly (perhaps due to intuition and luck) but i just tried letting y = x^n (an idea i got from looking at n=1,2,3) and it was fairly straight forwards from there to get x = k^n + 1, y = (k^n + 1)^n and z = k(k^n + 1)^m

Another construction (which is easier to find) involves the crucial observation that 2^{mn+1} = (2^n)^m + (2^m)^n. We can then multiply both sides by k^{mn(mn+1)} for some integer k>0 to get that k^{mn(mn+1)}2^{mn+1} = k^{mn(mn+1)}(2^n)^m + k^{mn(mn+1)}(2^m)^n which simplifies to (2*k^{mn})^{mn+1} = ((2^n)*(k^{n(mn+1)})^m + ((2^m)*(k^{m(mn+1)})^n which gives that x = 2*k^{mn}, y = (2^n)*(k^{n(mn+1)} and z = (2^m)*(k^{m(mn+1)}

I think the second construction is definitely easier to find with logic but the first is more concise. I think the problem was probably completely unapproachable if you had no familiarity with these construction ideas from problems since induction or recurrence relations (like for pell equations) as far as I can tell can't solve the problem

I got the general stuff from the first construction towards the end with y=x^n etc. but I think my argument had too many gaps.
Reply 19
Original post by epii+1=0
I'm curious to how other people solved Q5. I'm pretty sure that the correct approach involved a proof by contradiction in 2 cases: Case 1 = 2 corners on the same side have the same colour and Case 2 = 2 corners on the same diagonal have the same colour

I was fairly short on time for this question so I only got the first case done (in a kind of rushed but valid way)

I think, thinking about the problem now the easiest way to reach a contradiction is to first observe that we must have 4 squares of each colour since we can apply the pigeon-hole principal on the 4 non-overlapping 2x2 squares. Then in each case you can show if the 2 corners have the same colour then the grid will have 5 of one colour.

In the paper in the first case i made the observation that each square must have a different colour to each adjacent and diagonal square. Then I WLOG chose the colour of all the the squares on the side where the corners were the same colour e.g R B G R and then deduced that the 2 squares below the "R" and "G" must both be Y but this is a contradiction since they are adjacent. Then i ran out of time for case 2...

I did the same with the two cases. One of my friends did it by trying to do it without contradiction but it ended up being very messy for them.

Quick Reply

Latest