The Student Room Group

Could I be autistic and get a diagnoses?

So there are a few reasons why I think that I may be autistic here are the following reasons.
Social Communication and interaction deficits:
1). I find it hard to carry on a conversation especially with people I've just met and I don't usually ask people questions about themselves and usually respond with one word answers like Yes, No or OK.
2. When I was young I used to hit other students in my I'm not sure why, I think it might be because I felt different and left out so I wanted to interact with them.
3. I had a few close friends back in high school which was mainly centered around our shared interests in TV shows,movies and shared interest in academic subjects.
4. I've never had a romantic relationship before even though I'm 23, never had a kiss or girlfriend, I don't know how to initiate or progress a platonic relationship to a romantic relationship.
5. People often say that I show little expression in my face or that I always look down even when I'm happy and joyful. I have once been told I have a flat monotone voice with no raise in tone.
6. I had a speech delay when i was younger and had speech and language problems during school that I had to have speech therapy and found it difficult to pronounce certain words.
Restricted interests and Repetitive behaviours:
1.When I was a young child I used to jump up and down in one spot, I used to rock back and forth and I liked to spin in the playground until I was dizzy. I learned not to do it as I got in trouble but I still have repetitive behaviours but are more subtle like shaking my arms and legs, cracking my fingers and pacing up and downs.
2. I have an obsessive interest in TV shows I like and am highly interested in science especially molecular biology.
3. I listen to a song over and over again on repeat because it's like listening to it one time isn't enough.
4. I like to repeat quotes and phrases of characters on TV shows I enjoy watching.
P.S. I don't know if I have any sensory issues I used to chew on things when I was younger because I liked the sensation, but I function perfectly in noisy or busy environment settings and don't get sensory overload, furthermore I'm able to understand people's emotions and intentions( I have a good Theory of mind), I also use gestures so I don't know if any of these considerations disqualifies me from autism assessment.
Original post by Anonymous
So there are a few reasons why I think that I may be autistic here are the following reasons.
Social Communication and interaction deficits:
1). I find it hard to carry on a conversation especially with people I've just met and I don't usually ask people questions about themselves and usually respond with one word answers like Yes, No or OK.
2. When I was young I used to hit other students in my I'm not sure why, I think it might be because I felt different and left out so I wanted to interact with them.
3. I had a few close friends back in high school which was mainly centered around our shared interests in TV shows,movies and shared interest in academic subjects.
4. I've never had a romantic relationship before even though I'm 23, never had a kiss or girlfriend, I don't know how to initiate or progress a platonic relationship to a romantic relationship.
5. People often say that I show little expression in my face or that I always look down even when I'm happy and joyful. I have once been told I have a flat monotone voice with no raise in tone.
6. I had a speech delay when i was younger and had speech and language problems during school that I had to have speech therapy and found it difficult to pronounce certain words.
Restricted interests and Repetitive behaviours:
1.When I was a young child I used to jump up and down in one spot, I used to rock back and forth and I liked to spin in the playground until I was dizzy. I learned not to do it as I got in trouble but I still have repetitive behaviours but are more subtle like shaking my arms and legs, cracking my fingers and pacing up and downs.
2. I have an obsessive interest in TV shows I like and am highly interested in science especially molecular biology.
3. I listen to a song over and over again on repeat because it's like listening to it one time isn't enough.
4. I like to repeat quotes and phrases of characters on TV shows I enjoy watching.
P.S. I don't know if I have any sensory issues I used to chew on things when I was younger because I liked the sensation, but I function perfectly in noisy or busy environment settings and don't get sensory overload, furthermore I'm able to understand people's emotions and intentions( I have a good Theory of mind), I also use gestures so I don't know if any of these considerations disqualifies me from autism assessment.

Hi, there is an nhs test you can download called an AQ10 test which can indicate if you have traits and depending on how you score you may wish to discuss the results with your gp. In itself, whilst a diagnosis may provide a 'reason' for some of the things you described it is up to you whether you feel a diagnosis would change anything. Your doctor can arrange an adult referral for you but it is worth considering how everything impacts your life and ways you can make things a little easier for yourself. In the meantime you can still take a look at autism/ aspergers etc.. forums to see if you Identify with group members and perhaps find some mutual topics of conversation. I don't know if you're autistic, on the spectrum or have a mental health condition; it's highly likely its none of these and just some quirks you have which form your unique personality. The autistic spectrum is a sliding scale and all I can say is try not to focus too much on a diagnosis because if you are coping with everyday life embrace 'You'....if not however, check out the test, see your gp and see what happens. All the best! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi :smile: a lot of this does sound like autism. Not having sensory overload definitely doesnt disqualify you from having an assessment - i also dont get sensory overload and i dont have a special interest either but i got my diagnosis two months ago! All autistic people are different, i wish you the best and hope that if you proceed to try and get a diagnosis that it helps you learn more about yourself :smile:
If you're looking to get a diagnosis or answers of some kind, embrace autism has a lot of tests and resources online that could help you. If you do some of the online assessments and take note of what you're scoring and take it to the doctor you're far more likely to be taken seriously which shouldn't be the case but it is unfortunately.
Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest