The Student Room Group

A Level Maths Grade Boundaries 2023

what do you think will be the grade boundaries this year for edexcel a level maths?

I have heard that they will probably be similar to 2019 (pre pandemic) levels. I’m 2019 it was 55% for an A, do you think it will be similar this year?’
Original post by gshsghksjhajk
what do you think will be the grade boundaries this year for edexcel a level maths?

I have heard that they will probably be similar to 2019 (pre pandemic) levels. I’m 2019 it was 55% for an A, do you think it will be similar this year?’

They will likely be similar to 2019, yes. However, even before the pandemic they moved around a little each year anyway.
Original post by DataVenia
They will likely be similar to 2019, yes. However, even before the pandemic they moved around a little each year anyway.

okay, that’s good as 55% for an A sounds quite achievable! thank you for the reply
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia

does anyone knw what an a* was in 2019 and 2022 , i can only find boundaries up to an A
Original post by 07552Z
does anyone knw what an a* was in 2019 and 2022 , i can only find boundaries up to an A

For Edexcel Mathematics A Level - i.e. code 9MA0 - 217/300 (about 72%) was the A* boundary in both June 2019 and June 2022. See page 15 of this and page 9 of this for 2019 and 2022, respectively.
I would keep in mind that 2019 was the first year of the current maths A level specification taken by a full cohort of stuents (rather than the handful of FM candidates in 2018), the first year of linear instead of modular A level maths. Candidates and teachers were taken by surprise in 2019 by how different the exams were in comparison to what had gone before, Text books and practice papers from Edexcel didn't really point accurately to what to expect. As a result, a lot of people found it hard and grade boundaries were low. Although there was variation from year to year and unit to to unit in the previous modular specification a mark closer to 75-80% was usually needed for an A. All exams since have been affected by Covid and grade boundaries have been similarly low. Edexcel did a lot of work on their papers to make them more accessible and there are now much better resources and a range of Mock, Practice and Past Papers to revise with. While grades awarded will likely match the distribution of 2019, it would not surprise me if Edexcel maths grade boundaries start to creep up this year and in the years ahead.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by gdunne42
I would keep in mind that 2019 was the first year of the current maths A level specification, the first year of linear instead of modular A level maths. Candidates and teachers were taken by surprise in 2019 by how different the exams were in comparison to what had gone before, Text books and practice papers from Edexcel didn't really point accurately to what to expect. As a result, a lot of people found it hard and grade boundaries were low. Although there was variation from year to year and unit to to unit in the previous modular specification a mark closer to 75-80% was usually needed for an A. All exams since have been affected by Covid and grade boundaries have been similarly low. There are now much better resources and a range of Mock, Practice and Past Papers to revise with. While grades awarded will likely match the distribution of 2019, it would not surprise me if Edexcel maths grade boundaries start to creep up this year and in the years ahead.

75% to 80% for an A is crazy
Here's to praying they're gonna be low
75% to 80% for an A is crazy

It was much easier to achieve with modular exams where you knew the topics that would be tested on each paper.
it will definitely be higher than 55% for an A this year as my teacher was saying the exam papers are now becoming more accessible so expect higher boundaries
Reply 10
I would say if your consistently getting mid 70’s that’s probs an a* and the same for mid 60s for an a. With mid 60 you know your secure in an A all the time

There isn’t much point trying to predict them - you haven’t even seen the papers yet or got any objective indication of whether they are especially accessible to more or less candidates than any other year.

I would say that it is better you use your time now to focus on completing past papers under timed exam conditions, marking them and using the parts of questions where you lose the most marks to identify your weakest topics that you should divert the most time to revising.

That way, whatever the grade boundaries are, you can realistically hope to attain a grade that is sufficient for whatever you plan to do post A level.

Quick Reply

Latest