The Student Room Group

presentation anxiety :( pls help

When I have to speak in public, I die.

this might be long sorry

I have been diagnosed with social anxiety but I think I just have a genuine phobia of public speaking. I don't really know honestly but there's something seriously wrong with me.

I love being of the centre of attention when I'm around people I'm comfortable with, it makes me feel liked and confident. Not to sound egotistic or anything but to my friends I'm known as the 'funny' one and I can keep a conversation going. But when I'm around anyone else, I'm a completely different person and I don't feel like myself at all.

I can't talk in public and when I'm in groups I sit there and am actually mute until someone talks to me directly. And when there is attention on me my throat closes up.

When I get picked on in class to answer questions I feel SICK. I can give short answers but then teachers always ask for more and then I just go all awkward and go bright red.

But... PRESENTATIONS. ARE. THE. ABSOLUTE. DEATH. OF. ME.

I had to do a VIDEO presentation infront of ONE person yesterday. I wasn't nervous beforehand but when I started talking I started choking on all my words, felt so sick, my throat closed up, I started physically shaking my desk was vibrating, and my voice just started going all shaky. The presentation was 10 mins so by the end it calmed down a tiny bit but it was recorded, so I watched it back and I was also bright red. There is also the BIG issue that for some reason my body acts like I haven't swallowed or something because I'll randomly need to swallow and it sounds like a massive gulp. Like I'll just be saying a sentence and then my voice goes a bit shaky, and I have to pause to swallow and it's so obvious I'm nervous.

AND I WASN'T EVEN NERVOUS BEFOREHAND!!!!!

I have an actual physical in real life group presentation coming up next week, infront of 40 people and a panel of teachers - 10 min speech and 10 min questions. I am absolutely dreading it - I don't know what to do. Thinking about it is making me feel physically ill and when we got told about it I went home and had a panic attack.

I can't remember the last time I did a presentation as I have always avoided them (it was easier to in sixth form, can't exactly just skip my degree). I can't use my anxiety as a reason to not do it either as it's a group presentation and my group want to do it.

I am doing all the usual 'recommended' stuff to prepare- I've read over my stuff loads of times, I've tried to memorise what I'm going to say, I've practiced my part infront of people... but I KNOW I'm going to die on the day. I've been to therapy like 5 times and they all the same stuff about how people don't care what you look like/what you're doing, they probably won't even listen to the presentation they'll just be on their phones blah blah.

I am fully aware no one cares, I won't even be speaking for the whole 10 mins as I am in a group. And I know I shouldn't be telling myself the worst is going to happen but I'm not an idiot it's my life, I would bet all my current and future money and everything in my life on me choking on my words/sweating/shaking/etc. when I do this presentation. There is 100% chance of it happening because it happens all the time.. so no one say ohhh you'll speak it into existence it might not happen... ohh just prepare and you'll be fine..

I am seriously considering drinking before the class. When I drink I am myself , I wouldn't get drunk but even when I'm tipsy I can actually talk without it being noticeable I've had a drink... So stupid I'm even considering it but I don't know any other options.

I don't know what the exact problem is.. I don't know if it's because people are looking at me or hearing me speak or what... If they all had blindfolds on I'd feel like they're still seeing me somehow but if they all had headphones on I'd feel like they're still listening. But it's so stupid because I know no one cares. People might be listening but that would be because they're interested? I also don't like the whole Q&A sessions as I hate to be criticised and I can't think of answers on the spot.

I don't know what to do with my life because apparently presentations are a 'necessary' part of a degree and I should just 'get over it'. I have so many presentations in my second and third years and I seriously think I will end up dropping out.
Original post by fudgeyx

this might be long sorry

I have been diagnosed with social anxiety but I think I just have a genuine phobia of public speaking. I don't really know honestly but there's something seriously wrong with me.

I love being of the centre of attention when I'm around people I'm comfortable with, it makes me feel liked and confident. Not to sound egotistic or anything but to my friends I'm known as the 'funny' one and I can keep a conversation going. But when I'm around anyone else, I'm a completely different person and I don't feel like myself at all.

I can't talk in public and when I'm in groups I sit there and am actually mute until someone talks to me directly. And when there is attention on me my throat closes up.

When I get picked on in class to answer questions I feel SICK. I can give short answers but then teachers always ask for more and then I just go all awkward and go bright red.

But... PRESENTATIONS. ARE. THE. ABSOLUTE. DEATH. OF. ME.

I had to do a VIDEO presentation infront of ONE person yesterday. I wasn't nervous beforehand but when I started talking I started choking on all my words, felt so sick, my throat closed up, I started physically shaking my desk was vibrating, and my voice just started going all shaky. The presentation was 10 mins so by the end it calmed down a tiny bit but it was recorded, so I watched it back and I was also bright red. There is also the BIG issue that for some reason my body acts like I haven't swallowed or something because I'll randomly need to swallow and it sounds like a massive gulp. Like I'll just be saying a sentence and then my voice goes a bit shaky, and I have to pause to swallow and it's so obvious I'm nervous.

AND I WASN'T EVEN NERVOUS BEFOREHAND!!!!!

I have an actual physical in real life group presentation coming up next week, infront of 40 people and a panel of teachers - 10 min speech and 10 min questions. I am absolutely dreading it - I don't know what to do. Thinking about it is making me feel physically ill and when we got told about it I went home and had a panic attack.

I can't remember the last time I did a presentation as I have always avoided them (it was easier to in sixth form, can't exactly just skip my degree). I can't use my anxiety as a reason to not do it either as it's a group presentation and my group want to do it.

I am doing all the usual 'recommended' stuff to prepare- I've read over my stuff loads of times, I've tried to memorise what I'm going to say, I've practiced my part infront of people... but I KNOW I'm going to die on the day. I've been to therapy like 5 times and they all the same stuff about how people don't care what you look like/what you're doing, they probably won't even listen to the presentation they'll just be on their phones blah blah.

I am fully aware no one cares, I won't even be speaking for the whole 10 mins as I am in a group. And I know I shouldn't be telling myself the worst is going to happen but I'm not an idiot it's my life, I would bet all my current and future money and everything in my life on me choking on my words/sweating/shaking/etc. when I do this presentation. There is 100% chance of it happening because it happens all the time.. so no one say ohhh you'll speak it into existence it might not happen... ohh just prepare and you'll be fine..

I am seriously considering drinking before the class. When I drink I am myself , I wouldn't get drunk but even when I'm tipsy I can actually talk without it being noticeable I've had a drink... So stupid I'm even considering it but I don't know any other options.

I don't know what the exact problem is.. I don't know if it's because people are looking at me or hearing me speak or what... If they all had blindfolds on I'd feel like they're still seeing me somehow but if they all had headphones on I'd feel like they're still listening. But it's so stupid because I know no one cares. People might be listening but that would be because they're interested? I also don't like the whole Q&A sessions as I hate to be criticised and I can't think of answers on the spot.

I don't know what to do with my life because apparently presentations are a 'necessary' part of a degree and I should just 'get over it'. I have so many presentations in my second and third years and I seriously think I will end up dropping out.

First of all, that must be SO difficult to deal with! I usually get scared of public speaking but I can somewhat manage it.

With the alc stuff, please be careful. I'm not against it but just try to be wise.
What I do when I get nervous is first, have a cry in the toilet. I let it all out beforehand so that no one sees me panic on stage. After I cry, I like to look in the mirror and do a lil silly super hero pose, where I stand tall with my shoulders back, chest sticking out and one fist in the air like I'm Supergirl. I always look absolutely ridiculous when I do it and it allows me to relax a bit.

Even if you feel nervous, sometimes they might not be able to tell! I did a challenge at my placement where my team and I had to pitch a new idea for a mocktail to companies like M&S and ABO, when it came to my part to speak, I was so shaky but the staff members at my work place thought I sounded confident and clear. Same thing happened when I delivered my TED-talk at work (I did the superhero pose then too). So really, you're probably not as bad as you think!
I hope this helped a little bit! Good luck, I believe in ya :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by fudgeyx

Sounds like you're having a tough time at the minute! From what you've said, it certainly sounds like social anxiety. Social anxiety can affect people differently, and it doesn't necessarily mean you are anxious in all social situations. In fact, fear of public speaking and presentations is a very common type of social anxiety.

The truth is, you absolutely will feel anxious when giving this presentation. I would too! For now it might just be a case of "doing it anyway" and working through the anxiety. In the long-term, though, you might want to consider ways of overcoming this fear.

You mentioned having therapy a few times. I'm curious about what kind of therapy you have had. It sounds like you may need something a little more intensive to help you overcome this fear. It may be worth speaking to your GP and getting a referral to step 3 therapy, such as high intensity CBT, which is a recommended treatment for social anxiety.

Quick Reply

Latest