The Student Room Group

I’m not doing fab mentally

I’m honestly just tired of being in such a low mood and anxious all the time. I swear I spent all day today just overthinking absolutely everything and it’s actually draining me.

I’ve been very anxious about my driving recently as I’ve got my test booked for a couple months time and I’m just thinking am I even good enough to be doing this?? I have uni assignments- 1 exam and 1 essay due for next month which adds on stress especially when I’ve been feeling so unmotivated recently. These 2 factors are the 2 biggest things that is getting me really down recently. I just want these constant anxious and negative thoughts in my brain to go away at least for a little while.

Thing is I’ve been overthinking constantly since I was 10 and now I’m 18 so I’m that used to it but it doesn’t make it any easier. I have an amazing supportive family as well as friends but mental health is just not something I’m used to discussing with people so I feel like I wouldn’t even know what to say or how to approach the subject. Tbh I find it easier just typing things out.

I just needed to vent low-key as I’ve been feeling this way for a while (also where I live, it’s nighttime rn so that also doesn’t help). It was also just to see if anyone’s going through anything similar.
Original post by Newtothis_24
I’m honestly just tired of being in such a low mood and anxious all the time. I swear I spent all day today just overthinking absolutely everything and it’s actually draining me.

I’ve been very anxious about my driving recently as I’ve got my test booked for a couple months time and I’m just thinking am I even good enough to be doing this?? I have uni assignments- 1 exam and 1 essay due for next month which adds on stress especially when I’ve been feeling so unmotivated recently. These 2 factors are the 2 biggest things that is getting me really down recently. I just want these constant anxious and negative thoughts in my brain to go away at least for a little while.

Thing is I’ve been overthinking constantly since I was 10 and now I’m 18 so I’m that used to it but it doesn’t make it any easier. I have an amazing supportive family as well as friends but mental health is just not something I’m used to discussing with people so I feel like I wouldn’t even know what to say or how to approach the subject. Tbh I find it easier just typing things out.

I just needed to vent low-key as I’ve been feeling this way for a while (also where I live, it’s nighttime rn so that also doesn’t help). It was also just to see if anyone’s going through anything similar.

Have you thought about speaking to your GP? I've been in your situation (especially the driving test- I couldn't sleep for the whole month before mine!) I didn't think anything of it and just carried on with my life but I went back to uni and everything hit me like a brick wall and I just couldn't function. Your GP can properly diagnose any issues and treat or signpost to where you can get help!

It is perfectly normal and ok to vent. You will be fine.
went through a similar thing, see your gp about your anxiety, get a diagnosis, maybe the diagnosis will help you face it or you will be offered counsilling whihc may help you get some different technique of dealing with your mindset when you feel anxious or medication but personally medication shouldnt be your first option, more like a last resort, do your research on CBT and medication. everyones been there and now is the best time to face then say 10 years down the line.
Hiya, I mentioned this on another thread earlier today.. have you ever tried practicing controlled breathing methods “meditation”?.. answering you as a person who has suffered from anxiety and depression basically throughout my whole teenage years and early 20’s.. I’ve found that meditation has helped me waaaay more than any type of meds I’ve been prescribed.. and there has been many, download an app called Headspace.. the first 10 steps are free but you only really need those initial 10 to get the gist of it.. hope this helps
I want to say that all the people replying on this thread have talked about medication not working for them/ shouldn't be a first choice and sure, medication won't work for anyone and not everyone wants to try it but I can personally say that medication saved my life. I was apprehensive to try it but I'm so glad I did. Follow your Healthcare professionals guidance. They shouldn't offer medication as a first port of call but if you've tried everything, it can be really great.
You can contact your GP, which you can get referred to a therapist

You can get support and there is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Crises, 741741, text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress

-Rethink mental health, 0300 5000 927

-No Panic, 0800 138 8889

-relate, they have a chat advisor

There is the mind forum

Also Facebook groups

You can join support groups

You can contact a crises team if things get very bad

Plenty of resources online, information regarding well being
Original post by Anonymous
I want to say that all the people replying on this thread have talked about medication not working for them/ shouldn't be a first choice and sure, medication won't work for anyone and not everyone wants to try it but I can personally say that medication saved my life. I was apprehensive to try it but I'm so glad I did. Follow your Healthcare professionals guidance. They shouldn't offer medication as a first port of call but if you've tried everything, it can be really great.

Yeah you’re completely rational in what you’re saying, and my apologies.. I wasn’t in any way implying that medication won’t help you.. just that in my experience controlled breathing techniques were much better for me and was offering an idea for you to maybe try and see if it helps you at all… but the best piece of advice I would give you regarding your situation is please don’t bottle anything up due to either being embarrassed or not wanting to hassle anyone with your issues… it’s ALWAYS best to talk to someone about this, if not a medical professional then talk to someone you trust and feel you can open upto… alternatively, if you feel like venting to someone outside of your circle then please feel to message me anytime you need… good luck with everything dude
Original post by Anonymous

I think saying therapy first medication second is a good rule of thumb, medication is used mainly for hormone imbalance treatment and will not help those with enforced neurological pathways when shown certain anxiety inducing stimuli

I perfectly understand what you're saying don't write off medication as it can very well help you but to ensure you know what is exactly effecting you (hormone/chemical imbalance or your brains current away of thinking) is also important.

I talked to my gp and the offered medication and councilling so it was more of a guidance to make sure they exhaust every avenue to ensure they get a 100% look into how their body works

And this is anecdotal sure my GP seemed a bit clueless and he wasn't old I don't think GPS know much other than to refer to other services or ask if they want medication. I guess depends on the gp.

Hi there! I understand what you're trying to say. I'm also an overthinker who doesn't like to talk about her problems and sometimes it's overwhelming. I would suggest you to try meditation or just writing things out. It helps a lot. Try to make a routine and stick to it. Just don't dwell inside your head. You'll be fine. Distract yourself when you start to overthink by keeping yourself busy like do random things.
I would like to say it is nice reading all of your suggestions and that other have experienced the same problem is weirdly comforting

Quick Reply

Latest