The Student Room Group

gcses prep

hello, would anyone kindly gives me advices on how to score A* in my gcses for chemistry? topics to focus more on? or any study methods?
Original post by tabbiiii
hello, would anyone kindly gives me advices on how to score A* in my gcses for chemistry? topics to focus more on? or any study methods?

well,chemistry is an easy subject if you have learnt ur notes well...firstly,you have to focus on topics like stoichiometry(it requires time to understand and you should ensure that you have no conceptual error by doing mcqs and questions related to it so you retain info. well),organic chemistry is an absolute must (once again,no conceptual weaknesses,as each paper has questions from this chap),reactions and their colours(such as br,cl,i etc.), electrolysis(diff between electrolysis and electroplating in terms of anode and cathode),equilibrium, acids,bases and carbonates reactions and their products(eg.acid+carbonate) and u should have a rough idea of which compounds are acidic or alkali(u will learn by practising pp),diff btw metallic bonding,covalent and ionic(do ionic compounds have higher m.p than metal or macromloecules such as Silicondioxide or diamond),learn properties of transition elements(like they can form coloured compounds,form catalyst and so on..),uses of metals and alloys,extraction of metals(conditions required and the name of rock they are extracted)...these re the most imp.ones bcz many students have conceptual errors in it(and i had too which i learned by doing pp,so you wont have to go the longer way).make flashcards for the important points or sticky note(i did this) and stick it on a wall or a place where you can see and learn it while walking....you should also learn the reactivity series(v.v.imp) and their products(which metals can they substitute?)...
these were the topics that had most questions in pp too as well...also,do questions of topic you feel u're weak in in other variants too(like 41,43)...especially mcqs(they clear a lot of concepts)..this is just to ensure you're confident in them...it is up to you if you want to or need to...get help for websites like save my exams,pmt(for topic questions,videos and notes).....
hope this helps...i hope you have already looked at the syllabus too...
Reply 2
thankyou soo much, will be working on that.

I would advise you to attent mocks, they are free and online so https://sndppynloq2.typeform.com/freemocktests?utm_source=tsr
thankyou soo much, will be working on that.

all the best!!!

Heya!
When you start your revision, start with the topics you are less familiar with and make sure you understand the content + do lots of practice questions :h: If it helps, Study Mind has lots of free chem resources from revision notes to practice questions.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest