The Student Room Group

My job is making me ill

So i’ve been working as a data analyst for 8 months now and the job is so boring and dead end it is driving me nuts. I literally feel like i am trapped in a perpetual nightmare with no way of escape because I need to work to have an income (though I do have enough savings to not work for several months).

What on Earth do I do to get out of this nightmare? It is bringing back my anxiety and depression and making me ill. If I quit my parents will be on my back for quitting, so I feel trapped! :frown:

I just want to not work for several months and just travel the world or something - then find something I am passionate about whatever that may be (it’s not data analytics).

Any advice appreciated. Need to sort myself out and not keep getting to such a low mood. It’s so unhealthy and debilitating!
Have you looked into potential opportunities for doing a similar job abroad?
Within continents like australasia or asia.
Offering lots of potential to explore new cities in your spare time, experience a very different type of organisation culture and try out a diverse range of vegan cusines.
Original post by boulderingislife
So i’ve been working as a data analyst for 8 months now and the job is so boring and dead end it is driving me nuts. I literally feel like i am trapped in a perpetual nightmare with no way of escape because I need to work to have an income (though I do have enough savings to not work for several months).

What on Earth do I do to get out of this nightmare? It is bringing back my anxiety and depression and making me ill. If I quit my parents will be on my back for quitting, so I feel trapped! :frown:

I just want to not work for several months and just travel the world or something - then find something I am passionate about whatever that may be (it’s not data analytics).

Any advice appreciated. Need to sort myself out and not keep getting to such a low mood. It’s so unhealthy and debilitating!

If u had a chance what sort of work would you rather be doing?
Original post by londonmyst
Have you looked into potential opportunities for doing a similar job abroad?
Within continents like australasia or asia.
Offering lots of potential to explore new cities in your spare time, experience a very different type of organisation culture and try out a diverse range of vegan cusines.

I would love to go abroad somewhere but i don’t really want to be stuck in an office tbh. I want to do something i can do remotely from home so i can work in the countryside or something, or something outdoorsy.

Just sick of the 9-5 grind and rat race lifestyle in london. It feels like being trapped in a prison :s
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Dnsnnssn
If u had a chance what sort of work would you rather be doing?

I have no frigging idea. I just want to do something low paid and mind numbing atm. Waiter or someone who trims hedges or something random. I don’t want anything stressful with deadline and deffo nothing in front of a pc u less it is something engaging and interesting like programming or something, but i understand that is stressful too, so jot sure if that is the right path for me.
What on Earth do I do to get out of this nightmare? It is bringing back my anxiety and depression and making me ill. If I quit my parents will be on my back for quitting, so I feel trapped!

I hope things get better for you dude
Original post by Anonymous
I hope things get better for you dude

Thanks, me too. If only I would win the lottery or something lol. Would be nice to not ever have to work again, or at least have the luxury to have some time off to self-explore and “find my way” rather than doing something that I do not like.

If you’re making big money I d say stay am struggle for a bit more as it ll be worth it in the end.
Once u have that money start considering investments or something. Remind yourself why u got in it in the first place amd what it will help u achieve, whether that’s financial freedom etc
Thanks, me too. If only I would win the lottery or something lol. Would be nice to not ever have to work again, or at least have the luxury to have some time off to self-explore and “find my way” rather than doing something that I do not like.

I hope you find some career that you enjoy dude or just work something out somehow. Maybe in your spare time or holidays you could work on some way to make money like atleast a side hustle or something. You don't deserve to be stuck somewhere that's ruining your mental health
I was unemployed for three years and I can assure you that being unemployed or in a minimum wage job is infinitely worse than doing any sort of professional or skilled job.

Go work at McDonalds or Tesco at the weekend for a couple of months. You’ll find your current role more appealing fairly quickly
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I was unemployed for three years and I can assure you that being unemployed or in a minimum wage job is infinitely worse than doing any sort of professional or skilled job.

Go work at McDonalds or Tesco at the weekend for a couple of months. You’ll find your current role more appealing fairly quickly

Lol. It's so true. I worked in a lab with new graduates and I couldn't believe the amount of complaining from them. But then again, when you've worked in a chicken factory like I did you would never complain once you hava professional job.
I have no frigging idea. I just want to do something low paid and mind numbing atm. Waiter or someone who trims hedges or something random. I don’t want anything stressful with deadline and deffo nothing in front of a pc u less it is something engaging and interesting like programming or something, but i understand that is stressful too, so jot sure if that is the right path for me.

Go work in construction for a while. You'll be begging to go back to the office. Lol. I think it will be good for you for a few while. (But try to keep your skills up in Ur spare time).
Man, what an utterly **** day. I had zero motivation to work, couldn’t sleep as i was worrying about the future. To top it all off I went climbing to drown my sorrows but even that didn’t help lift mood! :frown:

Need a hug right now :frown:
Man, what an utterly **** day. I had zero motivation to work, couldn’t sleep as i was worrying about the future. To top it all off I went climbing to drown my sorrows but even that didn’t help lift mood! :frown:

:hugs:

Right, you need a plan of action.
Original post by black tea
:hugs:

Aww thanks :hugs:

I took two sick days off work. Feeling a lot better now. Hopefully with two more days to rest over the weekend i’ll be back to normal on monday!
Aww thanks :hugs:

I took two sick days off work. Feeling a lot better now. Hopefully with two more days to rest over the weekend i’ll be back to normal on monday!

Glad you are feeling better :smile: Hope you have a great weekend!

Quick Reply

Latest