The Student Room Group

OCR A-Level English Literature

For anyone that does Ibsen-Rossetti comparison in the upcoming exams,
Are you remembering the full poems for comparison? Or detailed quotes? I'm stressing, since I'm worried I won't remember full poems, even with spaced repetition.

Cheers
bump
hi, i'm doing duchess of malfi and rossetti, so a bit different. but by no means am i learning the full poems lol. what has worked for me is memorisng up to 5 versatile quotes from the poems and really digging into the themes and meanings of each one. for the exam it's not really about knowing it line by line but understanding it and using that understanding to compare and interpret each poem in different ways to suit your argument. i've even cut it down to just using 7 poems which i know i can spin to cover all themes. also, the quotes don't even have to be that long either; i think they prefer short and well-integrated ones.
Reply 3
Hey! I'm doing A Doll's House and Rossetti - I'm definitely not learning the poems, that would take way too long! I'm focusing on fully understanding each chosen poem (so knowing it well and being able to discuss it in detail) and then picking 3-6 quotes to memorise depending on the length.
For reference the poems I'm focusing on are
Maude Clare
From the Antique
Twice
Good Friday
No, Thank You, John
Shut Out
(and maybe Goblin Market)
Reply 4
Original post by Ichongoneluxbars
For anyone that does Ibsen-Rossetti comparison in the upcoming exams,
Are you remembering the full poems for comparison? Or detailed quotes? I'm stressing, since I'm worried I won't remember full poems, even with spaced repetition.

Cheers

Hi, (I know this is a late reply but...)

I wouldnt' be able to memorise the whole poem, but more quotes that you know you can compare and use within the essay - but mostly the main ideas and themes that you can compare to ibsen.

Original post by lhq20054
Hey! I'm doing A Doll's House and Rossetti - I'm definitely not learning the poems, that would take way too long! I'm focusing on fully understanding each chosen poem (so knowing it well and being able to discuss it in detail) and then picking 3-6 quotes to memorise depending on the length.
For reference the poems I'm focusing on are
Maude Clare
From the Antique
Twice
Good Friday
No, Thank You, John
Shut Out
(and maybe Goblin Market)

This is great advice, I would definitely look at Goblin Market as there's a lot of comparisons you could make and it's a good one to bring in. Per essay, I would say you need 3 poems at least, so I would pick out poems that you know you can compare for each theme e.g. relationships - Nora and Torvald - Maude Clare etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending