The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Freshers when you don't like clubbing

Hi guys, I'm gonna be studying Pharmacology at the Uni of Liverpool September 2023.

I'm not a big fan of clubbing and drinking and I'm worried that I'll struggle to make friends during Freshers.

Does anyone have any advice and know of events thats not clubbing or drinking? I'd really appreciate it 😊
I'm in a similar situation to you but at Sheffield
I was told that it is more common than you think and that people that prefer to do other things find each other (not sure how that works)
Personally I would try meeting people through the day events and some unis even have a movie night/quiz or something in the students union so people who don't want to go out can meet people
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by Jess_Lomas
I'm in a similar situation to you but at Sheffield
I was told that it is more common than you think and that people that prefer to do other things find each other (not sure how that works)
Personally I would try meeting people through the day events and some unis even have a movie night/quiz or something in the students union so people who don't want to go out can meet people

I’m hoping to go to Sheffield too, and feel the same way :smile: what are you studying ? I’m doing sociology and just booked accommodation in yarncliffe !
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Rubycs4
I’m hoping to go to Sheffield too, and feel the same way :smile: what are you studying ? I’m doing sociology and just booked accommodation in yarncliffe !

I'm doing biochemistry and booked Crewe
my insta is harrypotterquotes567 if you want to chat more
Original post by monstercookies8
Hi guys, I'm gonna be studying Pharmacology at the Uni of Liverpool September 2023.

I'm not a big fan of clubbing and drinking and I'm worried that I'll struggle to make friends during Freshers.

Does anyone have any advice and know of events thats not clubbing or drinking? I'd really appreciate it 😊

Hi there!

So the Guild of Student puts on a wide range of events, which don't involve drinking. In addition loads of societies put on their own events, many of which will not be drink-focused. You'll find many people at the university don't drink for a range of reasons, I believe there is also even a 'sober society'! If you put yourself out there and attend a range of events you'll be sure to find many likeminded people!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Hi! I’m also going to uni of liverpool and am not really into clubbing or drinking either! Good to know I won’t be the only one😂

Hi there :smile:

I can only speak on behalf of my experience at Kent but there were numerous events that weren't drinking related in freshers week. During freshers week there were activities such as sports, arts and craft, rock climbing, games nights, movie nights, karaoke etc. There are also many societies that aren't drinking oriented. Most unis host a freshers fair where you can browse through all the societies and attend taster sessions. There are plenty of opportunities to make friends at uni such as through these events, in your accommodation, in lectures/seminars etc. Remember that there will be lots of people in the exact same position as you so they too will be wanting to make friends. Have a lovely time at uni!

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
Original post by m.anonymous24
Hi! I’m also going to uni of liverpool and am not really into clubbing or drinking either! Good to know I won’t be the only one😂

Hi there!

Great to see your reply :smile: I hope lots of other students see and are reassured that there are many at University who choose not to drink, and you can have a huge amount of fun and interesting day and nights out without alcohol!

Reply 8
I’m going to liverpool and I’m exactly the same.

Original post by m.anonymous24
Hi,

It looks like the University of Liverpool offers loads of fun freshers activities that don't involve alcohol! :redface:

I also wanted to add that Liverpool as a city has so much to do that doesn't involve drinking or clubbing. There's a really nice dry bar (ie no alcohol served at all!) called The Brink that has live music on a lot, and also serves good food and cake! You can find them on social media.

Ellen
Liverpool John Moores University
Original post by Gian_
I’m going to liverpool and I’m exactly the same.

Hi there,

Great to hear :smile: Hopefully the OP has seen there are many people who don't drink, or fancy doing something non-drinking at times! You'll certainly find many likeminded people - as Ellen has said below the Guild of Students has many non-drinking events organised which you can check out here: https://www.liverpoolguild.org/whatson/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending