The Student Room Group

So scared about university

hi everyone. i move into university on saturday and i’m so so so so so so scared. literally want to cry like every 10 minutes. i’m in shared bathroom accommodation and i’ll also be scaring my kitchen. i don’t know 3 of my housemates: i want to cry. the idea of clubbing scares me. i feel like i’ve got too much stuff. i don’t know what to do or how to feel

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
hi everyone. i move into university on saturday and i’m so so so so so so scared. literally want to cry like every 10 minutes. i’m in shared bathroom accommodation and i’ll also be scaring my kitchen. i don’t know 3 of my housemates: i want to cry. the idea of clubbing scares me. i feel like i’ve got too much stuff. i don’t know what to do or how to feel

cheer up bro, its not the end of the world. If you dont want to do something, dont do it ie clubbin n the housemate thing, youll get introduced to them in the first 5 minutes and then you'll technically know them right? They also dont know you, theyre probably scared like you too rn cus people are people n were all pretty much the same deep down. Just be strong, do your thing, dont over think n just basically dont care ab these doubtin thoughts of 'i dont knows' 'this is too much'. S'alright its just uni not da apocalypse

It's normal not to know any of your flatmates. Meeting them for the first time and getting to know them will push you outside of your comfort zone. And that's a scary thing, but a good thing for you in the long run.

It's a very normal thing to share a bathroom with other people. Just try not to spend 4 hours in the shower and try not to hog the toilet too much. :smile:

Sharing a kitchen is a doddle. Most students will spend 20 mins or less cooking a meal, just try to do your washing up within 24 hours or keep it in your room. Try to get everyone to agree on that when you move in. Some people will leave dirty dishes around which can be proper grim. :ashamed2:

In my first year I went on a night out once. I didn't like it, and I didn't go again for 18 months. You don't have to go clubbing, it's not a requirement. Anyone pressuring you too much to go, or to drink, is a person to avoid. Cross clubbing off your worry list. :smile:

What are you thinking might be too much stuff? We can help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17
It's normal not to know any of your flatmates. Meeting them for the first time and getting to know them will push you outside of your comfort zone. And that's a scary thing, but a good thing for you in the long run.

It's a very normal thing to share a bathroom with other people. Just try not to spend 4 hours in the shower and try not to hog the toilet too much. :smile:

Sharing a kitchen is a doddle. Most students will spend 20 mins or less cooking a meal, just try to do your washing up within 24 hours or keep it in your room. Try to get everyone to agree on that when you move in. Some people will leave dirty dishes around which can be proper grim. :ashamed2:

In my first year I went on a night out once. I didn't like it, and I didn't go again for 18 months. You don't have to go clubbing, it's not a requirement. Anyone pressuring you too much to go, or to drink, is a person to avoid. Cross clubbing off your worry list. :smile:

What are you thinking might be too much stuff? We can help :smile:

my mum did a ‘everything i need about uni list’ but like it’s a whole car full of stuff. did you have flatmates who went out clubbing? if so we’re you ok being by yourself
There’s wayyyy more to uni than just drinking, and you’re bound to come across a lot of other people that don’t like clubbing either. There will be a lot of freshers activities going on that don’t include drinking :smile:
my mum did a ‘everything i need about uni list’ but like it’s a whole car full of stuff. did you have flatmates who went out clubbing? if so we’re you ok being by yourself

I spent a good chunk of first year on this website while others were clubbing to be completely truthful.

Also none of my first year flatmates were clubbing. I first moved into a postgrad block (don't ask) and a few of them enjoyed the pub, then I moved into a block full of introverts. Three of which I never had a conversation with.

What are your hobbies?
Reply 6
You're scared so u take it out on ur kitchen and scare it too?
Reply 7
Original post by 20468aut
You're scared so u take it out on ur kitchen and scare it too?

lol
Reply 8
Original post by 04MR17
I spent a good chunk of first year on this website while others were clubbing to be completely truthful.

Also none of my first year flatmates were clubbing. I first moved into a postgrad block (don't ask) and a few of them enjoyed the pub, then I moved into a block full of introverts. Three of which I never had a conversation with.

What are your hobbies?

thank you for being honest i think i’m just finding it really hard knowing that this time next week i’ll be out of my home ahah. honestly im getting myself really worked up about it! i like doing ballet, swimming and i like crafts! i’ve looked at societies and am hoping to join a few! but i don’t know whether i’ll just get a bit overwhelmed because of it.
Reply 9
Original post by Squiggles1238
There’s wayyyy more to uni than just drinking, and you’re bound to come across a lot of other people that don’t like clubbing either. There will be a lot of freshers activities going on that don’t include drinking :smile:

i’ve signed up for a lot of the things that don’t include clubbing. i just think i’m getting myself a bit overwhelmed about it all
Reply 10
Original post by hibyehereforasec
cheer up bro, its not the end of the world. If you dont want to do something, dont do it ie clubbin n the housemate thing, youll get introduced to them in the first 5 minutes and then you'll technically know them right? They also dont know you, theyre probably scared like you too rn cus people are people n were all pretty much the same deep down. Just be strong, do your thing, dont over think n just basically dont care ab these doubtin thoughts of 'i dont knows' 'this is too much'. S'alright its just uni not da apocalypse

thank you :smile:
thank you for being honest i think i’m just finding it really hard knowing that this time next week i’ll be out of my home ahah. honestly im getting myself really worked up about it! i like doing ballet, swimming and i like crafts! i’ve looked at societies and am hoping to join a few! but i don’t know whether i’ll just get a bit overwhelmed because of it.

Don't buy membership for swimming until you've been to a taster session. I was a club swimmer when I was younger, bought membership in advance, then went to the uni taster session and did not enjoy it.

Find friends in craft, swimming or dance societies. They are the people you spend your evenings with. If they want to go clubbing later on, you can politely decline and make your exit.
Reply 12
Original post by 04MR17
Don't buy membership for swimming until you've been to a taster session. I was a club swimmer when I was younger, bought membership in advance, then went to the uni taster session and did not enjoy it.

Find friends in craft, swimming or dance societies. They are the people you spend your evenings with. If they want to go clubbing later on, you can politely decline and make your exit.

thank you for the advice about swimming! that’s very true! also thank you so much for all the advice. i think my mind instantly goes to the worst case scenario which is really annoying
when i first moved into my accom i didnt know anyone and was scared to talk to anyone. my housemate moved in same day and offered me shrooms, I said yes and we took them that night with one of his friends. ended up being my best friends for the rest of the year.
Reply 14
Apart from the flatmates and and clubbing, is there another reason you're worried? I'm also moving into uni dorms for the first time on Saturday but picked a studio just to avoid the whole sharing thing. If you're worried about bringing too much then you could try only bringing essentials like clothes? Those you're sharing with might be bringing things for the kitchen so if you're planning to bring stuff like that then you could maybe see what your flatmates have brought then buy accordingly once there?
Reply 15
Original post by Arwyn
Apart from the flatmates and and clubbing, is there another reason you're worried? I'm also moving into uni dorms for the first time on Saturday but picked a studio just to avoid the whole sharing thing. If you're worried about bringing too much then you could try only bringing essentials like clothes? Those you're sharing with might be bringing things for the kitchen so if you're planning to bring stuff like that then you could maybe see what your flatmates have brought then buy accordingly once there?

kinda wish i picked a studio!! but then also i don’t know if i would like that either. it’s so stressful isn’t it? i’m not really sure how to like lower the amount of stuff i’m bringing. i hate it tbh
Original post by Anonymous #1

i’ve signed up for a lot of the things that don’t include clubbing. i just think i’m getting myself a bit overwhelmed about it all

That’s completely understandable! This is a whole new chapter of your life and everything will be unfamiliar, but just remember that everyone will be in the same boat, and you’ll be making friends and having loads of fun before you know it :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Squiggles1238
That’s completely understandable! This is a whole new chapter of your life and everything will be unfamiliar, but just remember that everyone will be in the same boat, and you’ll be making friends and having loads of fun before you know it :smile:

thank you for commenting. i really appreciate it. i worry about going away on like a week holiday and now it’s slowly hitting me that i’m moving on saturday away to uni

Hi there

It is really normal to be scared about going to University, and you are not alone. Many people will be in the same position as you.

When I moved into my accommodation, I did not know my housemates but I managed to get to know them throughout the first few months. In my second year of Uni, most of my flatmates were never home, so you don't really need to be friends with your flatmates.

If you do not like clubbing, you do not need to go. I have never been as I know I will not be comfortable in that environment. However, if you want to give it a go, you can always try it, and if it is not your thing, there is no need to continue. :smile: There are many other ways to meet friends at University and Fresher's week has many non-drinking or clubbing events.

I know it can feel quite overwhelming, just take your time to settle into University and try not to stress too much.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 19
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

It is really normal to be scared about going to University, and you are not alone. Many people will be in the same position as you.

When I moved into my accommodation, I did not know my housemates but I managed to get to know them throughout the first few months. In my second year of Uni, most of my flatmates were never home, so you don't really need to be friends with your flatmates.

If you do not like clubbing, you do not need to go. I have never been as I know I will not be comfortable in that environment. However, if you want to give it a go, you can always try it, and if it is not your thing, there is no need to continue. :smile: There are many other ways to meet friends at University and Fresher's week has many non-drinking or clubbing events.

I know it can feel quite overwhelming, just take your time to settle into University and try not to stress too much.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

hi, how did you deal with it if your flatmates went out clubbing and you didn’t?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending