The Student Room Group

will i miss out if i dont go freshers

I'm starting uni this year and all any of my friends have talked about is freshers week, I don't really like clubbing and staying out all night its just not my vibe so I don't really want to be paying a lot of money for something I doubt I'll enjoy. I know people mostly go to make friends but I can make friends with my flatmates or people in my course without going. I'm really considering just not going at all. will I be missing out on anything since a lot of people have said that going to freshers is a must.
Reply 1
hi! i'm going into my second year, but during freshers week in my first year i didn't go to much (literally one event which i left early) and i don't feel like i missed out on much. i made friends without going to freshers and just overall didn't regret not going. people will say freshers is a must because it's what they like, but if its not for you then its not your fault and you don't have to go:smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
It’s a student right of passage, worth it just for the freshers fair where all the clubs pitch for new members. There’s lots of alternatives to clubbing and getting wasted if that’s not your thing. Just settling in and exploring the surroundings before the course starts is good
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I'm starting uni this year and all any of my friends have talked about is freshers week, I don't really like clubbing and staying out all night its just not my vibe so I don't really want to be paying a lot of money for something I doubt I'll enjoy. I know people mostly go to make friends but I can make friends with my flatmates or people in my course without going. I'm really considering just not going at all. will I be missing out on anything since a lot of people have said that going to freshers is a must.

Freshers is more than clubbing - go to the Freshers Fair to find out about clubs and societies. There will be other events that don't involve alcohol ..

Hi there, congratulations on securing your offer at University. :smile:

I think not clubbing or staying out at night does not mean missing out on University life. I did not go to these events either.
Freshers week is not only about partying and clubbing, there are many other activities organised by the University that do not involve staying up late or drinking.

I would recommend having a look at the fresher's fair. This is a chance to make friends and see all the societies available that you can join. You could also look at your University's student union website so you can keep updated on any other events that you find more interesting.

Don't feel pressure to go to clubbing events, as I understand they are not for everyone. I'm sure if you be yourself, you will make many friends during University. I hope that helps. :smile: All the best with University this September! :biggrin:

Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Hello!

As someone who dealt with the same issues when I was a fresher, I completely understand. However, freshers week is more than just clubbing and staying out all night.

Typically, Universities and colleges (Depending on whether you're in a collegiate University) will plan all sorts of events and activities every day all throughout freshers week, and a lot of these events are lowkey and relaxed events/activities where you can have fun and make new friends; So it's definitely worth it if you decide to attend freshers week and are not interested in clubbing/staying out late.
Also, the freshers fair is the best part about Freshers week in my opinion, because you get the opportunity to meet so many different people and check out all the different clubs/societies you can join that cater to your interests!

At the end of the day, freshers is just one week and won't really make that much of an impact on your life if you decide not to go, but as someone who skipped out on all the clubbing events/activities but attended the freshers fair and other non-clubbing activities; It was definitely worth it because I was able to meet other likeminded people and join societies that I'm interested in.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope this information can help in some way!

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending