The Student Room Group

Breaks while studying

How often and how long for do you take breaks while studying? Also what do you do during your breaks?
Original post by scar-the-queen
How often and how long for do you take breaks while studying? Also what do you do during your breaks?

Probably 5-10 min breaks, every 10-20 min long study session (short attention span)

I tend to walk around, browse the Internet or even exercise.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi!

As we have a rather short attention span, it is suggested to make shorter blocks of learning and short breaks between them. I read a book about being a successful and effective student. It was proposed there to learn for 25 minutes and then take 5-minute break. It should work for the majority. When I am studying, I tend to use the technique. As one block is short, it is much easier not to forget the part learned in the middle of the block. You should have a go!

Regarding breaks, it is recommended to do something different than browsing your phone. I love to close my eyes for 5 minutes and give my brain and eyes a proper rest.
I hope you will find it helpful! :h:

Take care,

Julia
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi!

As we have a rather short attention span, it is suggested to make shorter blocks of learning and short breaks between them. I read a book about being a successful and effective student. It was proposed there to learn for 25 minutes and then take 5-minute break. It should work for the majority. When I am studying, I tend to use the technique. As one block is short, it is much easier not to forget the part learned in the middle of the block. You should have a go!

Regarding breaks, it is recommended to do something different than browsing your phone. I love to close my eyes for 5 minutes and give my brain and eyes a proper rest.
I hope you will find it helpful! :h:

Take care,

Julia

This is helpful! Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending