The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

OU time scale

Hi all,

I am looking at starting an OU degree course later in the year as a mature student and thinking of an access module first to ease me back into education. Does a year of study actually add up to 12 months, or is it broken up into terms? I also go on holiday about three times a year for 10 or 11 nights at a time. Would that time off affect my studying? Reading coursework whilst away wouldn't be a problem, but online may not be as easy.

Thanks in advance. Kev.
OU modules (with a couple of exceptions) span a 9-month academic year. There's no real concept of terms/semesters.

You do get scheduled break weeks, and even outside of those you should be able to make those holidays work as long as you plan carefully. (Not near exams, ideally not near group projects, check assignment deadlines, get ahead beforehand or make a plan to catch up after, etc).

As for actively studying while away without internet, that'll depend heavily on the specific course- e.g. for maths it'd usually be fine, but it'd be impractical for most computing modules.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
OU modules (with a couple of exceptions) span a 9-month academic year. There's no real concept of terms/semesters.

You do get scheduled break weeks, and even outside of those you should be able to make those holidays work as long as you plan carefully. (Not near exams, ideally not near group projects, check assignment deadlines, get ahead beforehand or make a plan to catch up after, etc).

As for actively studying while away without internet, that'll depend heavily on the specific course- e.g. for maths it'd usually be fine, but it'd be impractical for most computing modules.

Thank you for that.
I now have another question. If a course is scheduled to start in a certain month, is it normally on the first day of the month?
It's usually the first Saturday of the month. The OU's weekly calendar runs from Sat to Fri.
Original post by Kev_T
Hi all,

I am looking at starting an OU degree course later in the year as a mature student and thinking of an access module first to ease me back into education. Does a year of study actually add up to 12 months, or is it broken up into terms? I also go on holiday about three times a year for 10 or 11 nights at a time. Would that time off affect my studying? Reading coursework whilst away wouldn't be a problem, but online may not be as easy.

Thanks in advance. Kev.

October start modules run to June ish while January start modules run to October.

So as above, about 9 months. If you do October start modules it's usually around the standard academic year structure/format. Also I think they usually kind of "build in" an expected break around the winter period and spring period although since the learning is self-directed and you can do it whenever as long as you hit the deadlines, it's really up to you.

Quick Reply

Latest