The Student Room Group

How to self study 5 hours a day for almost all days

I find this rather difficult and now have dropped to 2-3 hours a day for my own maths. I can't even break 3 often.

While for uni they need a lot of independent study. How do I do it?
Reply 1
I have found a couple things help me-
Split it into chunks throughout the day
Take walks in between sessions/ errands/cook etc
Have set study sessions with people doing the same thing and teach each other things
Have set silent study sessions with other people where it is just the act of being around other people that helps you do the work

are you at university now and they ask for that many hours or are you anticipating uni?
Original post by CyberClara
I have found a couple things help me-
Split it into chunks throughout the day
Take walks in between sessions/ errands/cook etc
Have set study sessions with people doing the same thing and teach each other things
Have set silent study sessions with other people where it is just the act of being around other people that helps you do the work

are you at university now and they ask for that many hours or are you anticipating uni?

going to uni soon. it's not a requirement for independent study but just for my self improvement and studying my own stuff and to make up for underachievement in 2021-23.

so for example pomodoro, 17 min study 4 min break, should i extend it? it's not too long although sometimes i just want to keep going more. maybe 20 minutes study 4 min break? or 19 min study 4 min break, after that how long should be long break? 25 5 15 is just too long for me.
try bringing it up to 20 mins at least - is there a reason why its 17 mins?
you can try this and gradually do a min more to work up to 25 mins / 30 mins as this will help
try reducing distractions like phone etc while studying so that you make the most of your study time
Original post by justlearning1469
I find this rather difficult and now have dropped to 2-3 hours a day for my own maths. I can't even break 3 often.

While for uni they need a lot of independent study. How do I do it?

Hi @justlearning1469,
Being able to direct your learning and study independently are essential skills you will need for uni.
I advise you to not look at the clock and timings soo much. There is no point in 5 hours of study if your counting every minute and watching the clock compared to 3hrs of focussed study - quality on study over quantity of time of study.
Take the opportunity to try different techniques and different study environments. Perhaps you like to study at home, at the library, in a cafe... perhaps you need music or specific lighting. It may take some time to get the right set-up and don't be afraid to experiment.
Their really isn't a one size fits all style of studying. Trying pomodoro techniques, apps that grow trees etc while you study can be useful motivators and ways to keep on track. Sometimes setting achievable but challenging goals and benchmarks to cover topics or do something before an activity can be useful and better than aiming for a set numbers of hours studying.
Best of luck with your studies - Catherine (University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador)
Original post by agent_duck343
try bringing it up to 20 mins at least - is there a reason why its 17 mins?
you can try this and gradually do a min more to work up to 25 mins / 30 mins as this will help
try reducing distractions like phone etc while studying so that you make the most of your study time

it was 17 mins because 17*4=68 and then 4 min break for 3 times in between, so 80 mins, and then long break 10 mins which leads on to 90 minutes each time.
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hi @justlearning1469,
Being able to direct your learning and study independently are essential skills you will need for uni.
I advise you to not look at the clock and timings soo much. There is no point in 5 hours of study if your counting every minute and watching the clock compared to 3hrs of focussed study - quality on study over quantity of time of study.
Take the opportunity to try different techniques and different study environments. Perhaps you like to study at home, at the library, in a cafe... perhaps you need music or specific lighting. It may take some time to get the right set-up and don't be afraid to experiment.
Their really isn't a one size fits all style of studying. Trying pomodoro techniques, apps that grow trees etc while you study can be useful motivators and ways to keep on track. Sometimes setting achievable but challenging goals and benchmarks to cover topics or do something before an activity can be useful and better than aiming for a set numbers of hours studying.
Best of luck with your studies - Catherine (University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador)

to me music is merely distracting and would force me into my repetitive tendencies to keep watching the same video or hear the same lyrics for hours in a row. I can't risk this to get my dreams done!

i'd prefer library as least distracting. but how to stop procrastinating? i need to make the sense of urgency to stop procrastinating.
to me music is merely distracting and would force me into my repetitive tendencies to keep watching the same video or hear the same lyrics for hours in a row. I can't risk this to get my dreams done!

i'd prefer library as least distracting. but how to stop procrastinating? i need to make the sense of urgency to stop procrastinating.

I find that its less about motivation and more about discipline. If you’re not disciplined then it’s more likely you’ll get less done. Set up your work station (your desk) at the beginning of the day and set time out in the day which is dedicated to studying. When it reaches that time, no ifs or buts, go to your desk, turn your phone off and do the work you need to do. I find too that when you plan what work you’ll do each day it makes your study time much more productive.
Original post by PixiePresents
I find that its less about motivation and more about discipline. If you’re not disciplined then it’s more likely you’ll get less done. Set up your work station (your desk) at the beginning of the day and set time out in the day which is dedicated to studying. When it reaches that time, no ifs or buts, go to your desk, turn your phone off and do the work you need to do. I find too that when you plan what work you’ll do each day it makes your study time much more productive.

in that case i will work towards it, i'll make a plan and set time towards it. starting with 1 hour dedicated time.
Reply 9

leave your phone at home or if its really bad you could tell someone you trust to change the password and write it down for later so that you could access it. there are also google chrome extensions you could get that block specific websites.
going to uni soon. it's not a requirement for independent study but just for my self improvement and studying my own stuff and to make up for underachievement in 2021-23.

so for example pomodoro, 17 min study 4 min break, should i extend it? it's not too long although sometimes i just want to keep going more. maybe 20 minutes study 4 min break? or 19 min study 4 min break, after that how long should be long break? 25 5 15 is just too long for me.

I use flowmodoro.
Work for however long you can, and then have a break for 1/3 of that time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending