The Student Room Group

AQA A Level biology The importance of shapes fitting together in cells and organisms

If I was to write about respiration in an essay and I wanted to link it to mitochondrial diseases. Would writing about Leigh syndrome and how mutations affect Oxidative phosphorylation get me the beyond the specification reading marks? For example, if I put:
Point mutation of the gene for ATP changes the amino acid sequence of ATP synthase.ATP synthase active site then becomes different, so ADP will not bind well, H+ ions don't pass through resulting in Less ATP being formed by oxidative phosphorylation.
Reply 1
Original post by anon25x
If I was to write about respiration in an essay and I wanted to link it to mitochondrial diseases. Would writing about Leigh syndrome and how mutations affect Oxidative phosphorylation get me the beyond the specification reading marks? For example, if I put:
Point mutation of the gene for ATP changes the amino acid sequence of ATP synthase.ATP synthase active site then becomes different, so ADP will not bind well, H+ ions don't pass through resulting in Less ATP being formed by oxidative phosphorylation.

I would say no as it isn't enough of the spec information but I may be wrong
Reply 2
You're just saying mutations in a gene sequence can make the enzyme not as good. What is it about Leigh syndrome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending