The Student Room Group

SOAS vs KCL for MA History

Hello everyone!
Used to be here a lot 14 years ago when I was still doing my A levels ...nice to be back!
I'm currently 30 y/o and hoping to re-enter academia and pursue an MA and eventually a PhD in History.
I've applied to several programmes in continental Europe and am waiting to hear back OR applications still haven't opened.
I hadn't really considered the UK as it's a) too expensive b) virtually all programmes require academic references. As luck would have it, I was looking at the MA History programme at SOAS, and found that references weren't required (just a motivation essay plus my BA transcript)...so I went ahead and applied anyway. Got an unconditional offer for admission two days later.
Now, I have a soft spot for SOAS....I got accepted 13 years ago for my BA, but didn't go (ended up doing my BA in Egypt). As I want to specialize in Middle East History, SOAS would theoretically be a good fit and should have the right kind of academic milieu, relevant supervisors, and should be a good foundation when applying for PhD programmes later on.
However, my information/perception might be outdated. Is SOAS still THE place? Upon doing further research I found that King's College London also has a straightforward application process (they will accept a professional reference, which is easier for me to obtain from my current employer). The programme I'm eyeing at KCL is MA World History & Cultures. I should add that KCL is ahead of SOAS in both the overall and by-subject rankings.
Any feedback or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending