The Student Room Group

Has anyone escaped from a career/job that makes them ill to 'recover' after a change?

Hi everyone,

So my story is that I've been working as a data analyst for about 10 years and i've never really enjoyed it, so much so that it makes me ill - literally have to take sick leave in every job just to make sure i don't have a mental breakdown!

It's clear to me that I don't enjoy what I do and a major source of my anxiety and depression is around my unhappiness with my work life. It got me wondering whether changing my work situation would make me happier. So I ask you guys:

Has anyone ever been in a similar boat and has changed careers/jobs and become happier so much so that their anxiety and/or depression has been banished or significantly reduced?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by boulderingislife
Hi everyone,

So my story is that I've been working as a data analyst for about 10 years and i've never really enjoyed it, so much so that it makes me ill - literally have to take sick leave in every job just to make sure i don't have a mental breakdown!

It's clear to me that I don't enjoy what I do and a major source of my anxiety and depression is around my unhappiness with my work life. It got me wondering whether changing my work situation would make me happier. So I ask you guys:

Has anyone ever been in a similar boat and has changed careers/jobs and become happier so much so that their anxiety and/or depression has been banished or significantly reduced?

Thanks.

Yes! I worked in admin and retail for years and hated it. I trained as an EFL teacher and moved to China to teach English, and it was like a massive weight had been lifted! I've since moved into work in mental health, which I absolutely love. The change in career immediately made me feel better.

We spend a lot of hours at work, and I'm a big believer that we should not spend those hours doing something we hate.
Original post by Nerol
Yes! I worked in admin and retail for years and hated it. I trained as an EFL teacher and moved to China to teach English, and it was like a massive weight had been lifted! I've since moved into work in mental health, which I absolutely love. The change in career immediately made me feel better.

We spend a lot of hours at work, and I'm a big believer that we should not spend those hours doing something we hate.

That’s so cool Nerol! I want to do something else too but i’ve no idea what! I know I just can’tA/don’t want to do a normal job, but i’ve no idea what else to do! Ho did you decide to get into EFL?
I've known plenty of people who have done that and it worked out well for them. As examples:

City law to junior school teaching

Banking to TEFL

Admin/ retail to physiotherapy
Reply 4
That’s so cool Nerol! I want to do something else too but i’ve no idea what! I know I just can’tA/don’t want to do a normal job, but i’ve no idea what else to do! Ho did you decide to get into EFL?

I was good at English at school and I liked the idea of working abroad, so it seemed like a good fit. I did a TEFL certificate online with i-to-i and a 5 month teaching internship in Beijing. It was a great opportunity to work and travel, work-life balance was great, pay was good considering the far cheaper cost of living over there, too.
Original post by Nerol
I was good at English at school and I liked the idea of working abroad, so it seemed like a good fit. I did a TEFL certificate online with i-to-i and a 5 month teaching internship in Beijing. It was a great opportunity to work and travel, work-life balance was great, pay was good considering the far cheaper cost of living over there, too.

What is i to i? What are you doing now? 😊
Reply 6
What is i to i? What are you doing now? 😊

i to i is just a company that does TEFL qualifications and internships and things abroad. I did a 120-hour certificate online.

Now I am training as a high intensity CBT therapist back here in the UK.
Original post by Nerol
i to i is just a company that does TEFL qualifications and internships and things abroad. I did a 120-hour certificate online.

Now I am training as a high intensity CBT therapist back here in the UK.

That’s so great you found something you love doing. I haven’t really found something that drives me. And if you don’t love your job and you don’t have any motivation to do it, it is depressing and soul destroying!
Reply 8
That’s so great you found something you love doing. I haven’t really found something that drives me. And if you don’t love your job and you don’t have any motivation to do it, it is depressing and soul destroying!

Totally agree! I have worked in a LOT of different jobs in my life, and it was just a matter of trial and error, really. Speaking to a careers advisor could be helpful, too. It took me years and years to figure out what I wanted to do. I only started studying Psychology when I was 25 and am still in training at 34! Part of what I love is the constant learning, though, so it works for me.

Quick Reply

Latest