The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Integrated mechanical and electrical engineering vs pure mechanical

Hey,

I'm a Year 13 student studying Maths, Physics, and Further Maths at A-Level.

Today I received the last offer that I had been waiting on from the university of Bath.

While I applied for the Mechanical Engineering Meng with placement year I have received an offer for Integrated Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (also a Meng) due to the fact that Bath has filled all of their places for pure mechanical engineering.

I was wondering what the benefits/ downsides of taking a mixture of mechanical and electrical instead of just straight mechanical would be and whether this new offer is worth considering.

Original post by HClarkson05
Hey,

I'm a Year 13 student studying Maths, Physics, and Further Maths at A-Level.

Today I received the last offer that I had been waiting on from the university of Bath.

While I applied for the Mechanical Engineering Meng with placement year I have received an offer for Integrated Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (also a Meng) due to the fact that Bath has filled all of their places for pure mechanical engineering.

I was wondering what the benefits/ downsides of taking a mixture of mechanical and electrical instead of just straight mechanical would be and whether this new offer is worth considering.

Hi there, I think I can give you a hand. For context, I've just firmed an offer for MEng Electrical and Mechanical at Edinburgh.
A benefit of the combined course is that it is dual accredited, so you would be accredited by IMechE and IET, which gives you a wider range of career options. A downside is that its possible that you would have a slightly busier weekly timetable.
I would say that you should take it if Bath is the uni you want to go to. Even if you prefer mech over electrical you should be able to choose more on mech related courses later on in the degree.

p.s congrats on the offer :biggrin:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Quick Reply

Latest