The Student Room Group

Why do mental health professionals lie?

I am eager to join the British Army, but I am uncertain if the medical team will make an exception. I passed the initial screening questions that ask if you have ever experienced anxiety, depression or suicidal thoughts, which I immediately ticked “no” to. The problem is that I have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, but I don't believe that I have this condition, not even for a second. Mainly because I don't know what psychosis or depression is or what that feels like. Whenever I encounter a mental health professional, it's like they don't understand basic human emotions. I inform them of normal things that I am experiencing, such as being a bit upset that my ex-girlfriend broke up with me, or that I am preparing for my exams, and their reaction is to just nod and recommend medication and a strict treatment plan. I first came into contact with mental health professionals when I was 17 after I took a detour from a normal jogging route. I was lost and dehydrated, and they classed this as me being psychotic. I literally just needed some water and food. Since then, it has been a constant battle trying to get rid of these condescending people who think they know what's best for me and my health. My case file of medical notes for my mental health is thicker than a typical undergraduate folder of class notes. The last time mental health professionals entered my home, I violently assaulted them and battered a nurse to a pulp with my bare hands to the point that they needed to glue their head back together. I do bouldering, mountain climbing, paintballing, hiking and boxing so I can really do some damage to someone if I need to. I actually can't stand mental health professionals. They are wasting my time, their time, and getting paid public tax money to do it. What do I do to write a good convince a persuade argument if my application is rejected, and I appeal because I am certain something like this wouldn't quite cut it. No to medical support means no, my autonomy and health is more important than someone's personal opinion. I'm normal and I understand what I am doing and the impact it has on people, now stop oppressing me and let me work or get an education.
Mate.. I’m gonna be brutally honest with you here, and just to inform you first of all, I’ve been through EXACTLY the same situation as you have written about here, so much that it made me read this a few times over… ok, so in my personal experience.. i had the unfortunate experience of witnessing one of my closest friends get run over and killed outside school when we were 15… after this I struggled with depression and such like, both myself and my friend who died were adamant on joining the forces after school… I attempted to pursue our goal but due to the mental health team being involved with me a fair bit after that awful incident the military declined my application on numerous occasions… reading the initial part of your thread I would have encouraged you to keep pecking at your doctors etc to re diagnose you on the psychological issues they have you as suffering from.. but, with the incident of violence towards a medical professional.. you’ve basically zero chance of that happening… I very much doubt that the military would risk, one: putting you in a situation where you’re gonna be getting beasted on a daily basis through basic training, and two: letting you loose with a military grade weapon or various military grade weapons when you have instances of violence towards a medical professional.. I’m sorry bro but I really can’t see them letting that one slide… I could be completely wrong but I come from a military family and I’ve tried enough times myself with no joy and that was waaay before I gained any sort of violent convictions on my record… just was me simply being heartbroken about a close pal dying.. I genuinely believe that they will deem you as too much of a risk… on the other hand, have you tried joining the TA’s and going through that route?… be easier to get in and may give you a chance to prove yourself as being a competent soldier… just my thoughts bud, not gospel
Reply 2
Original post by ArmyFit
I am eager to join the British Army, but I am uncertain if the medical team will make an exception. I passed the initial screening questions that ask if you have ever experienced anxiety, depression or suicidal thoughts, which I immediately ticked “no” to. The problem is that I have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, but I don't believe that I have this condition, not even for a second. Mainly because I don't know what psychosis or depression is or what that feels like. Whenever I encounter a mental health professional, it's like they don't understand basic human emotions. I inform them of normal things that I am experiencing, such as being a bit upset that my ex-girlfriend broke up with me, or that I am preparing for my exams, and their reaction is to just nod and recommend medication and a strict treatment plan. I first came into contact with mental health professionals when I was 17 after I took a detour from a normal jogging route. I was lost and dehydrated, and they classed this as me being psychotic. I literally just needed some water and food. Since then, it has been a constant battle trying to get rid of these condescending people who think they know what's best for me and my health. My case file of medical notes for my mental health is thicker than a typical undergraduate folder of class notes. The last time mental health professionals entered my home, I violently assaulted them and battered a nurse to a pulp with my bare hands to the point that they needed to glue their head back together. I do bouldering, mountain climbing, paintballing, hiking and boxing so I can really do some damage to someone if I need to. I actually can't stand mental health professionals. They are wasting my time, their time, and getting paid public tax money to do it. What do I do to write a good convince a persuade argument if my application is rejected, and I appeal because I am certain something like this wouldn't quite cut it. No to medical support means no, my autonomy and health is more important than someone's personal opinion. I'm normal and I understand what I am doing and the impact it has on people, now stop oppressing me and let me work or get an education.

Sorry to hear you've had such a difficult time with mental health services. I have worked in various parts of these services, and I know it can be difficult to get away from diagnoses sometimes, which can be so frustrating. I'm curious about the violent assault, of how things escalated to that point, how it was handled afterwards, and why you felt you should detail the extent of it here. Being considered a risk to self or others is something professionals have a duty to take seriously, for you, for themselves, and for the general public, so this incident may very well make it harder for you to get away from your diagnosis and be free from the involvement of services. I'm not sure about the rules/requirements around mental health in the army. I do believe everyone should be able to do the things they want, so maybe talking to someone with a good knowledge of recruitment into the army to see whether it could be a possibility, and what you would need to do to get there could be helpful.
Original post by Nerol
Sorry to hear you've had such a difficult time with mental health services. I have worked in various parts of these services, and I know it can be difficult to get away from diagnoses sometimes, which can be so frustrating. I'm curious about the violent assault, of how things escalated to that point, how it was handled afterwards, and why you felt you should detail the extent of it here. Being considered a risk to self or others is something professionals have a duty to take seriously, for you, for themselves, and for the general public, so this incident may very well make it harder for you to get away from your diagnosis and be free from the involvement of services. I'm not sure about the rules/requirements around mental health in the army. I do believe everyone should be able to do the things they want, so maybe talking to someone with a good knowledge of recruitment into the army to see whether it could be a possibility, and what you would need to do to get there could be helpful.

Agreed, in my instance.. it was over 20 years ago and I reckon that certain attitudes may have changed regarding mental health and how to properly integrate people suffering with it into the armed forces but i really do think the op will struggle achieving his end goal in this situation unfortunately.. but, if you don’t try your hardest to get around it you’ll probably always kick yourself and wonder “what if”

Quick Reply

Latest