The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Alternative offer

Hi everyone, I applied to PPE at king‘s quite a while ago. Today, I got an offer saying that my application for my chosen course was unsuccessful, but that I have been taken into consideration for a second course (to which I was accepted a few hours later). The new course is political economy, and it sounds quite interesting on their website, however, after researching a little bit, I found out offer rates for that course in relation to applications are 95% (worth noting that alternative offers are included). So now my question: Should this offer be something that I should consider taking? I applied to KCL because I like the competitiveness and quality, but what I read about the course + the fact that I was accepted just hours later rather made me feel like Kings is need of my 32000 British pounds a year I pay as international student. If anyone has some more info on the competitiveness and quality of the course or on how often these alternative offers happen I would be happy to know. I now that Kings is a renowned university, but 95% offer rates sound a bit weird to me. Thank you guys
what other offers have you received?
and what grades are you hoping to achieve
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by lenaniddam
what other offers have you received?
and what grades are you hoping to achieve

I have not received any other offers unfortunately, I had some difficulties getting my personal statement to be the way universities prob want it. I will achieve something around 1.1 or 1.2 in the German Abitur, which I believe is something a bit better than A*AA
Reply 3
I wouldn't go for the alternative course. It might sound nice but it's not PPE. To me, it's like being offered Sustainability or Product Design after applying for Mech Engineering. Nice courses but not the same or as broad. It's best to wait to hear from the other schools you applied to. If that doesn't work out, you could consider getting some work experience or any supercurricular and re-applying next year. Perhaps, take the time to make a better personal statement. Don't fall into the trap of going for any course because of the school. It has a much higher acceptance rate as an alternative offer because you're basically being used to market it. A lot of students don't apply for that course so they try to get desperate students to study it.
Original post by DarylO
I wouldn't go for the alternative course. It might sound nice but it's not PPE. To me, it's like being offered Sustainability or Product Design after applying for Mech Engineering. Nice courses but not the same or as broad. It's best to wait to hear from the other schools you applied to. If that doesn't work out, you could consider getting some work experience or any supercurricular and re-applying next year. Perhaps, take the time to make a better personal statement. Don't fall into the trap of going for any course because of the school. It has a much higher acceptance rate as an alternative offer because you're basically being used to market it. A lot of students don't apply for that course so they try to get desperate students to study it.

We'll it's 95% the same courses as PPE so I wouldn't say it's something very different right?
Reply 5
Original post by Applicantkcl
We'll it's 95% the same courses as PPE so I wouldn't say it's something very different right?

Yes but it's still not PPE. It's still very undersubscribed for a reason and it's being marketed in this way because most people would rather do PPE.

However, if you've gone over the modules, the career prospects and employability prospects, and you're fine with what you find, go for it. Who knows? Maybe the universe is choosing this for you? I still wouldn't take such a risk, though.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest