The Student Room Group

My experience with alternative offers and advice to others.

I just wanted to give my story on alternative offers.

I applied to UON for law but was offered criminology. I tried to plead with the admissions team but was essentially told I was lucky I had a place at all. I was told that the courses cross over and are very similar so thought that I would enjoy it.

(Side note - The staff at Nottingham were very nice and their mental health teams were also very helpful and fast to respond)

When I started speaking to people on the course it became apparent very quickly that the majority of people on the course were alternative offers and whose plan was to just do a conversion course afterwards. I really didn't enjoy the course which also cost me my mental health.

Alternative offers are a good way to get to your dream university but at the end of your day you need to follow your passion. Please don't make the same mistake as me and accept a course that isn't for you for the sake of the campus/reputation of the university.

If you ever get an alternative offer prior to results day I really recommend doing a deep dive into the subject they offered you if going to a certain university matters to you.

If you are like me however and get an alternative offer on results day, don't feel pressured to make your decision. With the limited time UCAS gives you to confirm your final choice it really pressures you into making a choice when you are very emotional. Take as long as you need within that window to make your choice. Think about what matters most to you. The Uni or the course?

Scroll to see replies

Giving this one a bump as it echoes the advice we give to people receiving alternative course offers.

At the end of the day, an alternative offer is a rejection for the original course with the uni then trying to fill places on another one that they have less applicants for. It might still be a good route for you, but do your research.
this is so random but i’m dealing with a situation where I was offered a different course instead of the one I applied for but it doesn’t say anywhere I was rejected or that it was an alternative course on UCAS, were you told it was alternative??
Original post by minionbob55
this is so random but i’m dealing with a situation where I was offered a different course instead of the one I applied for but it doesn’t say anywhere I was rejected or that it was an alternative course on UCAS, were you told it was alternative??

When did UCAS update? The uni may email you about it over the following week.
Original post by Admit-One
When did UCAS update? The uni may email you about it over the following week.

I got my offer last Friday and I haven’t heard anything yet, I was asking because i’m wondering what does it look like when you get an alternative offer like does it say on ucas that it is one because mine doesn’t say anything about being an alternative offer my uni just changed my choice
1) Universities will only make alternative course offers for courses that are 'hard to fill' - they are not doing because they like you, whatever it says in the email, they are only doing it to get bums on seats and fill up a course.

2) Never, ever, sign up for any course that you don't want to do. It might sound obvious but plenty of people convince themselves that 'it'll be alright really" or "I can switch courses once I get there" and other nonsense. Do not do this. Even it it means having a gap year and reapplying next year, this is way better than starting an expensive University course that you never actually wanted to do.
I got my offer last Friday and I haven’t heard anything yet, I was asking because i’m wondering what does it look like when you get an alternative offer like does it say on ucas that it is one because mine doesn’t say anything about being an alternative offer my uni just changed my choice

Often UCAS won't say anything about it being an alternative offer. The uni would usually confirm that to you directly.

Friday and Monday were office closure days. If you have not heard anything from them by next tuesday, contact the uni to confirm.
Original post by Admit-One
Often UCAS won't say anything about it being an alternative offer. The uni would usually confirm that to you directly.
Friday and Monday were office closure days. If you have not heard anything from them by next tuesday, contact the uni to confirm.

okay thank you I don’t get why I have been given an alternative offer as I meet the requirements and it’s only April like there’s bound to be people who will leave the course and there will be space and on top of that the offer they sent me is for a course i’m currently doing!! AND the requirements they asked from me is for a diploma I’m not doing so everything is messed up rn
Just 'meeting the requirements' is not enough to guarantee you an offer.

If the offer you have been made doesnt make sense, phone the Uni.
Original post by McGinger
Just 'meeting the requirements' is not enough to guarantee you an offer.
If the offer you have been made doesnt make sense, phone the Uni.

what how?? that is crazy i didnt know you could literally meet the requirements and not get in, how does that work?
Universities look at far more than just 'meets basic entry requirements' when making a decision.
You are not guaranteed an automatic offer.
what how?? that is crazy i didnt know you could literally meet the requirements and not get in, how does that work?

What course is it that you originally applied for?
Original post by PQ
What course is it that you originally applied for?

I applied for illustration at Ulster university
I applied for illustration at Ulster university

Presumably they asked for a portfolio?
Original post by PQ
Presumably they asked for a portfolio?

yes they did and I sent them one
yes they did and I sent them one

Then the decision to reject you will have been based on the suitability of your portfolio not your academic qualifications
Original post by PQ
Then the decision to reject you will have been based on the suitability of your portfolio not your academic qualifications

that sucks I spent ages on it and my art teacher checked it over for me multiple times and said it was really good
that sucks I spent ages on it and my art teacher checked it over for me multiple times and said it was really good

It may well be good but not suitable for that specific illustration degree. Not every creative course will be a good fit for every talented applicant - in many cases the academic staff will judge a portfolio as being better suited for a different course.

Which course have they made an offer for instead?
Original post by PQ
It may well be good but not suitable for that specific illustration degree. Not every creative course will be a good fit for every talented applicant - in many cases the academic staff will judge a portfolio as being better suited for a different course.
Which course have they made an offer for instead?

I got offered a foundation year in art & design - the same course I am currently in 🙃 my portfolio was illustration based as my teacher actually warned us about unis seeing your portfolio and assuming you meant to go to a different art course so I made sure that mine was mostly illustration
I got offered a foundation year in art & design - the same course I am currently in 🙃 my portfolio was illustration based as my teacher actually warned us about unis seeing your portfolio and assuming you meant to go to a different art course so I made sure that mine was mostly illustration

Have you asked for feedback?
Does Ulster offer a Foundation Diploma or is it an integrated foundation year? If there’s issues with capacity/funding then they might simply be massively over-subscribed and rejecting a lot of good applicants, or if there’s errors in your qualifications listing on UCAS then they might not think you’re qualified for year 1 entry (or there is a chance of human error).

Have your other choices been successful?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending