The Student Room Group

Swabs characteristics (Not floppy?) (Nursing)

Hi. I did some placement in theatres during my course. I am curious on what are the things to look out for when putting swabs on the sponge holder. I know I have to make sure the metal is not exposed. However, I do not know the reason why I have to make sure that the swab is not floppy. Does anyone know and where I can find the resource?
Original post by xlisax_02
Hi. I did some placement in theatres during my course. I am curious on what are the things to look out for when putting swabs on the sponge holder. I know I have to make sure the metal is not exposed. However, I do not know the reason why I have to make sure that the swab is not floppy. Does anyone know and where I can find the resource?

It’s been a while since I worked in theatres, but do you mean when you have the swab rolled around the end to a sponge holder?
Original post by moonkatt
It’s been a while since I worked in theatres, but do you mean when you have the swab rolled around the end to a sponge holder?

sounds like it
Reply 3
Original post by moonkatt

Yes
Yes

Having the swab on the sponge holder makes it better to apply pressure or to dab blood away from the surgical field, you’d want to use the swab d for this rather than metal too.

There’s not loads of theatre people on here but I wonder if @ODPSCP could help?
Reply 5

Depends on what your using the swab-on-a-stick for, e.g. if it's being using for cleaning, floppyness isn't too important, it just feels flimsy, but for some abdominal surgery it can be used for blunt dissection which needs stir Sinead at the tip to drag away tissue, and if you put it in a cavity you don't want the floppy bit to catch on anything. It's mainly to show where the end of the instrument inside is.

Thanks @moonkatt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending