The Student Room Group

PwC Flying Start Degree or Deloitte BrightStart Apprenticeship?

Hi guys,

I recently got an offer from PwC and QMUL for their BSc Accountancy degree course with paid placements (for 1 term in years 2,3 and 4) at PwC. Completing this degree will give 12/15 credits required for my Level 7 ACA which I will finish off a year after the course with a likely job offer from PwC. One drawback is that I will have to pay uni fees (~£31k total for 4y).

On the other hand I have an offer from Deloitte for an apprenticeship in Audit and Assurance, it's a 5 year course where I'll be gaining tons of experience and also working towards the Level 7 ACA which I will have completed by the end of it. It pays a good salary (~25k pa) but the lack of a degree does hold me back slightly.

I think there are advantages and disadvantages for both options and I just wanted to know what other people think about the two, or if they have any experience to share from being in one of these courses. The degree at QMUL seems quite similar to what the ACA covers in the way that the degree doesn't seem as much of a difference compared to the sole ACA I'd get at Deloitte.

I don't really want to pursue a full-time career in accounting/audit as it does seem quite mundane to me, I think that regardless of what option I take, I'll try to gain some years of experience and then do a MSc in Finance at a reputable university and begin progression to a CFO position or pursue finance/banking. Would I still be able to get a Master's at Oxford, Cambridge, LBS, LSE, UCL with just a Level 7 ACA and experience and not a degree (if I go with Deloitte)?

Thank you for taking time out to read, please let me know what you think about the two options and wether I'd be able to pursue a Master's.
One big factor - do you particularly want to go to university? Move away for university? That's a huge difference between the two routes.
@Mehdi Hassan - any thoughts regarding masters from your experiences?
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
One big factor - do you particularly want to go to university? Move away for university? That's a huge difference between the two routes.

I don't have any particular desire for the student/uni life as I'm not really the party type. I'm more driven by how the decision will affect my career and future employability (and ability to get a Master's). Both options are in London and I would be staying at home.
Original post by 08zz23
I don't have any particular desire for the student/uni life as I'm not really the party type. I'm more driven by how the decision will affect my career and future employability (and ability to get a Master's). Both options are in London and I would be staying at home.

I think if staying at home I would go with the apprenticeship compared with the flying start degree, or any other accounting degree.

I don't think that it will have a particular effect on your career and employability either way. There are routes to puck up a cheap degree with an ICAEW apprenticeship and hopefully more opportunities will open. I'd also note that taking the apprenticeship is the lower risk option. If you find accountancy is not for you, or through your work find some particular passion or talent you leave the option to go to university to follow that interest open.

Regarding high level finance masters - I think you need to look at the universities you are interested in and their requirements. The Flying Start degree (and other A+F degrees) would not qualify you for the top masters in finance. These require seriously heavy quotative such as maths, physics or some economics degrees. Other courses will be open to you either way - the MBA from Imperial has been popular among those who took accounting apprenticeships.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
I think if staying at home I would go with the apprenticeship compared with the flying start degree, or any other accounting degree.

I don't think that it will have a particular effect on your career and employability either way. There are routes to puck up a cheap degree with an ICAEW apprenticeship and hopefully more opportunities will open. I'd also note that taking the apprenticeship is the lower risk option. If you find accountancy is not for you, or through your work find some particular passion or talent you leave the option to go to university to follow that interest open.

Regarding high level finance masters - I think you need to look at the universities you are interested in and their requirements. The Flying Start degree (and other A+F degrees) would not qualify you for the top masters in finance. These require seriously heavy quotative such as maths, physics or some economics degrees. Other courses will be open to you either way - the MBA from Imperial has been popular among those who took accounting apprenticeships.

Can you elaborate on the imperial MBA. I have recieved an offer from Deloitte for the ACA apprenticeship. Would the ACA be accepted as an ‘equivalent qualification’ or would I need a degree also if I get a MSC in accounting from University of London (online course) Would that he accepted ? Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Zain_A_
Can you elaborate on the imperial MBA. I have recieved an offer from Deloitte for the ACA apprenticeship. Would the ACA be accepted as an ‘equivalent qualification’ or would I need a degree also if I get a MSC in accounting from University of London (online course) Would that he accepted ? Thanks

At the time I knew - I guess 3 or 4 years ago - Imperial were accepting ACA with no degree for their MBA. It seems to be a pretty popular choice. Of course, entry requirements can change and may do before you would be in a position to apply (6 years time?).
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
At the time I knew - I guess 3 or 4 years ago - Imperial were accepting ACA with no degree for their MBA. It seems to be a pretty popular choice. Of course, entry requirements can change and may do before you would be in a position to apply (6 years time?).

Yeah it would be around 6 years. Well hopefully the entry requirements don’t change. Thanks for your comment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending