The Student Room Group

Hairdresser anxiety!

Hii , i am a 17 year old girl with severe social anxiety and i haven’t had my hair cut professionally since i was probably about 11 i know that i need to cut my hair as it’s very damaged with alot of split ends ,my mum has made an appointment for me but i still can’t help but feel nervous, i have no idea what to say when i show up and im really bad at talking to people, i do have photos of the hair style i want but i’m worried that my hair is too thin for layers, any advice and good luck wishes would be greatly appreciated!!
(edited 1 year ago)
im very similar to you! im 18 and get very anxious surrounding any type of appointment. when you're there, they're most likely to start asking questions about what you want, so if you're able to then you can say that you have quite a lot of split ends and would like them cut off. if you'd like to keep your hair long then you can ask to keep as much length as possible, or if you'd like a big change then you can show on your hair the length you'd like it cut to. since you haven't mentioned it, i'm assuming you aren't planning on getting any, but sometimes some hairdressers will ask if you like any layers in your hair or if you want it to be all one length. this is entirely your option and if you'd like you can ask what they'd think is best :smile: a lot of the time hairdressers are chatty while they do their work so will maybe tell you about their day, something that happened recently or ask about you and how you are etc. it is completely okay to mention that you're not great at talking to people or to stay relatively quiet, as long as you answer questions they ask about your hair! if i'm getting my haircut and things are a little quiet after a while i ask 'if i were to dye my hair, what colour should i go for?' and that usually gets the talking going again. once they're ready to cut your hair/have made the first cut, they might also show it to you and ask if you'd like to go shorter. it should be all about your preferences so (and i know its easier said than done) but try to enjoy it and remember you won't have to do this again for a while. good luck, i hope you have a good time!
Original post by okayykayy
im very similar to you! im 18 and get very anxious surrounding any type of appointment. when you're there, they're most likely to start asking questions about what you want, so if you're able to then you can say that you have quite a lot of split ends and would like them cut off. if you'd like to keep your hair long then you can ask to keep as much length as possible, or if you'd like a big change then you can show on your hair the length you'd like it cut to. since you haven't mentioned it, i'm assuming you aren't planning on getting any, but sometimes some hairdressers will ask if you like any layers in your hair or if you want it to be all one length. this is entirely your option and if you'd like you can ask what they'd think is best :smile: a lot of the time hairdressers are chatty while they do their work so will maybe tell you about their day, something that happened recently or ask about you and how you are etc. it is completely okay to mention that you're not great at talking to people or to stay relatively quiet, as long as you answer questions they ask about your hair! if i'm getting my haircut and things are a little quiet after a while i ask 'if i were to dye my hair, what colour should i go for?' and that usually gets the talking going again. once they're ready to cut your hair/have made the first cut, they might also show it to you and ask if you'd like to go shorter. it should be all about your preferences so (and i know its easier said than done) but try to enjoy it and remember you won't have to do this again for a while. good luck, i hope you have a good time!

AHH Thank you so much for this reply this has really helped me feel more comfortable and at ease, id love to get some layers as my hair is more on the thin side!!, i also have pictures to show the stylist so i do feel a lot more prepared already it’s just a big move out of my comfort zone!!
I don't have anything more to add, just want to say well done for stepping out of your comfort zone and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest