The Student Room Group

Turning 20 is scaring me idk why is it cuz it’s too old?

I’ve just turned 20 and I’ve been crying non stop I feel like the statues of ‘teen’ is gone and it feels really out of place. I feel like at this age I’m meant to be mature but I’m mentally I’m still stuck at 16 and realising I’m 20 is scaring me. I feel so old I can’t describe it I feel like turning 20 means that I’ve lost all my childhood and I have no excuse for being childlike. I’m also scared of how people will view me differently because I’m no longer a teenager ..
It’s called growth, and you’re transitioning. It doesn’t happen overnight, it takes months, if not years of incremental exposure to the outside world, experience, and emotions etc., to ‘adapt to the conventional expectations that comes with tranches of age.

Further, nobody really gives a flying Flamingo about your age and maturity. You’ll possibly get the occasional comment about how old, young, or mature you look for your age, but that’s all part of the process of growth.

I used to be irrationally scared of turning 25 because I had always been scared of the increasing rate of responsibility that progresses with age. I was scared that my perfect body was fading and that I was slowly losing the position that older adults envied because it meant that I wasn’t ‘old’ and could do things uninhibited without worrying about responsibilities, but life hits you quick and you’d have no time to romanticise about your fancy-free childhood or past life. In fact, you’d increasingly grow to love yourself and appreciate growth because it is accompanied with privileges, opportunities, and struggles that help you further GROW in the broader sense.

Just don’t let go of yourself in the process!
(edited 1 year ago)
On what planet is 20 “too old”? It’s incredibly young still and there’s just nothing you can do to stop the progress of time. Before you know it you’ll be 30 and will lose the “status” of being in your 20s. You just have to learn to deal with it I’m afraid.
dw i cried too when i turned 20 a few months ago
wish i was a teen forever

Quick Reply

Latest