The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham: do I need to bring a dinner jacket to uni?

I have been accepted into Durham University as an international student. I’m not too familiar with the customs and formal wear in England, so I would like to clarify and confirm what I should bring along to Durham.

1) Is a dinner jacket (tuxedo in American parlance) necessary, or will a lounge suit suffice?
2) What do men usually wear to events, and are black tie events frequent? Do many people wear lounge suits to black tie events?

I don’t want to stick out like a sore thumb if I wear a lounge suit to a black tie event. I need to get it tailored soon if it’s required.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Original post by Anonymous
I have been accepted into Durham University as an international student. I’m not too familiar with the customs and formal wear in England, so I would like to clarify and confirm what I should bring along to Durham.

1) Is a dinner jacket (tuxedo in American parlance) necessary, or will a lounge suit suffice?
2) What do men usually wear to events, and are black tie events frequent? Do many people wear lounge suits to black tie events?

I don’t want to stick out like a sore thumb if I wear a lounge suit to a black tie event. I need to get it tailored soon if it’s required.

Firstly Durham is great and you'll love your time there im sure. it depends on what societies and events youre looking to go to, or join. However, i would say a dinner jacket is a must and yes, you would stick out without one. But i wouldnt worry too much about it, people dont really care. I quite often buy cheap dinner jackets and shirts and get the trashed on nights out or lose them. I pick them up cheaply and dont worry if they get ruined on a night out as the black tie events are usually fairly boozy.
From my experience i might have many 5 black tie events/ balls a year that i would go to. somepeople might not go to any though.
most people would wear a standard tuxedo, however lots of people will be in smokers jackets or velvet dinner jackets. The odd scot might wear a kilt. it vaires
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by CFinchett2000
Firstly Durham is great and you'll love your time there im sure. it depends on what societies and events youre looking to go to, or join. However, i would say a dinner jacket is a must and yes, you would stick out without one. But i wouldnt worry too much about it, people dont really care. I quite often buy cheap dinner jackets and shirts and get the trashed on nights out or lose them. I pick them up cheaply and dont worry if they get ruined on a night out as the black tie events are usually fairly boozy.
From my experience i might have many 5 black tie events/ balls a year that i would go to. somepeople might not go to any though.
most people would wear a standard tuxedo, however lots of people will be in smokers jackets or velvet dinner jackets. The odd scot might wear a kilt. it vaires

Thanks for the reply!

I’ll get one tailored in my country (I’m pretty short, so I’m worried about sizing for off the shelf stuff in general) and maybe get a cheap tux there for more casual use.

See you in Durham!
Do you want to?

If you have no intention to go to formal events during your time there then it'd probably be a bit of a waste. I imagine there are probably places to rent them as well there...?
Original post by Anonymous

Hiya

People usually wear tuxedos to balls while lounge suits are usually worn to formals. It really depends on how many events you wish to attend, they're not compulsory. Also different colleges have different frequency of formals, ranging from once per two weeks to twice per term. And balls are organised by both societies and colleges so there are MANY you can go to. This year I've only attended one ball and one formal while others may choose to attend more or none at all. So it really comes down to your preference. I think one pair of each should be okay but I think the males here would be better placed to provide an answer to how to source them. Sorry I know I haven't been very helpful lol

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest