The Student Room Group

Mental health and freedom of data issues

As soon as I entered sixth form at a new school, I started counselling. First counsellor I didn't get along with (son is friends with my brother - weird) but she took a few months off for covid. Replaced by a woman who worked in mental health for 23 years - wanted me to try get an autism diagnosis (NHS) after discussing my struggles. GP said I'm "just a teenager" and that I'd have to go to an educational psychologist through school. Old counsellor came back (new one left) and said I'm not autistic as I have no learning disorders; school talked to my teachers or something and agreed no further action. They said they can't access my notes from the new counsellor that left as they're confidential. SENCO at the school my mum works at says the GP absolutely could've referred me. I want to try get referred through the GP again. Is it possible to make the school give me access to those notes as they help me try get a referral? I don't understand why I can't have access to them or get them sent to a GP if they contain what I need.

I have a RAADS-R of 212, scored extremely high on the NHS Plymouth autism questionnaire and genuinely think I might be autistic, I just want to know if there's a reason I feel the way I do (old counsellor asked "what I want to get out of it" and implied I was looking for extra exam time which you don't get for autism anyway).

Sorry it's so long
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
As soon as I entered sixth form at a new school, I started counselling. First counsellor I didn't get along with (son is friends with my brother - weird) but she took a few months off for covid. Replaced by a woman who worked in mental health for 23 years - wanted me to try get an autism diagnosis (NHS) after discussing my struggles. GP said I'm "just a teenager" and that I'd have to go to an educational psychologist through school. Old counsellor came back (new one left) and said I'm not autistic as I have no learning disorders; school talked to my teachers or something and agreed no further action. They said they can't access my notes from the new counsellor that left as they're confidential. SENCO at the school my mum works at says the GP absolutely could've referred me. I want to try get referred through the GP again. Is it possible to make the school give me access to those notes as they help me try get a referral? I don't understand why I can't have access to them or get them sent to a GP if they contain what I need.

I have a RAADS-R of 212, scored extremely high on the NHS Plymouth autism questionnaire and genuinely think I might be autistic, I just want to know if there's a reason I feel the way I do (old counsellor asked "what I want to get out of it" and implied I was looking for extra exam time which you don't get for autism anyway).

Sorry it's so long

It's not to long, don't worry, and there's always a reason you feel a certain way. One, I would say get a new counselor. Try. Out of the woods counseling it's where I go and it's a amazing place, sometimes online counseling is better. And you might have autism, some counselors just don't want to deal with that kind of stuff and just like push it away its not very good.

Quick Reply

Latest