The Student Room Group

to be a corporate solicitor, should I have taken a business or economic A-Level?

I was researching about which aspect of law I wanted to work in particular, and the corporate sector stood out to me, however I have seen some people saying on here that I need a business type or econ ALevel, however the A-Levels I take are: Eng Lit, Gov and Politics and Philosophy and Ethics. Even for GCSE, I had not taken any relevant subjects.
I am in year 12, so I have just started gaining a sense in which type of law I would like to specify in.
I have taken an online/ virtual business course to broaden my knowledge, but is this enough?
EDIT: I now know that it is not needed due to everyone who replied! Thank you all for being so helpful
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by julesrr21
I was researching about which aspect of law I wanted to work in particular, and the corporate sector stood out to me, however I have seen some people saying on here that I need a business type or econ ALevel, however the A-Levels I take are: Eng Lit, Gov and Politics and Philosophy and Ethics. Even for GCSE, I had not taken any relevant subjects.
I am in year 12, so I have just started gaining a sense in which type of law I would like to specify in.
I have taken an online/ virtual business course to broaden my knowledge, but is this enough?

Hello! Great to hear that you are planning to pursue a career in law. I’m in Year 13 and I’m also planning to undertake law at uni and a career in law. Just from what I have seen and heard through different work experiences and insight days with law firms is that your A-Levels to an extent will help you with understanding information about the world in many ways, but the key part is the law itself. This is why if you are planning to take law at uni you shouldn’t worry about whether you have the right subjects or not at this stage for the career because you will learn the fundamentals at uni, especially during 2nd & 3rd year where you can pick the optional modules that interest you the most/best reflect what you are planning to do after you graduate for e.g. competition law, commercial law e.t.c. Your A-Levels right now do not disadvantage you in any way for the career you are aiming towards so don’t feel like you should’ve picked other subjects because your subjects are really good for a law degree!
Also, if you are still interested in learning more about the corporate side of law, then by all means do explore online courses and articles that interest you :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
No.

/thread
Reply 3
Original post by Kalopsia_M
Hello! Great to hear that you are planning to pursue a career in law. I’m in Year 13 and I’m also planning to undertake law at uni and a career in law. Just from what I have seen and heard through different work experiences and insight days with law firms is that your A-Levels to an extent will help you with understanding information about the world in many ways, but the key part is the law itself. This is why if you are planning to take law at uni you shouldn’t worry about whether you have the right subjects or not at this stage for the career because you will learn the fundamentals at uni, especially during 2nd & 3rd year where you can pick the optional modules that interest you the most/best reflect what you are planning to do after you graduate for e.g. competition law, commercial law e.t.c. Your A-Levels right now do not disadvantage you in any way for the career you are aiming towards so don’t feel like you should’ve picked other subjects because your subjects are really good for a law degree!
Also, if you are still interested in learning more about the corporate side of law, then by all means do explore online courses and articles that interest you :smile:

Thanks so much you've been so helpful :smile:
TOf your 3 only one is a traditional hard/facilitating subject one so some sixth forms would suggest you did two not one of those kinds.
You will probably be fine with one - English lit these days and Gov and P and also Philosophy are fine.

Traditionally we were told to do essay subjects for law anyway. I did English Lit, History and German for example.

Your 3 are fine. Just try to make sure you get good grades as some law firms even after your degree look at A level grades achieved.
Also only half of lawyers do an LLB at university (I did an LLB but lots do not and then convert after).
Original post by 17Student17
TOf your 3 only one is a traditional hard/facilitating subject one so some sixth forms would suggest you did two not one of those kinds.
You will probably be fine with one - English lit these days and Gov and P and also Philosophy are fine.

Traditionally we were told to do essay subjects for law anyway. I did English Lit, History and German for example.

Your 3 are fine. Just try to make sure you get good grades as some law firms even after your degree look at A level grades achieved.
Also only half of lawyers do an LLB at university (I did an LLB but lots do not and then convert after).

The concept of facilitating subjects has been retired by its originators, the Russell Group, for perpetuating the exact incorrect beliefs that you are posting here. There is no such thing as "hard" and "soft" subjects for the vast majority of universities; only two universities operate preferred subject lists (LSE and UCL) and all 3 of OPs subjects are preferred subjects at each.
I did say the existing subjects were okay. I now what has been said about facilitating subjects, but they tend to be good A levels to do for those in the process of choosing some, whether the universities like them or not. Perhaps we should call them traditional subjects.

Anyway I think we all agree that not doing business and not doing economics (neither of which are facilitating/ or traditional subjects anyway, although economics is quite liked by universities) is no hindrance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending