The Student Room Group

Forgetting calculator in radians. Help

Does anyone have any tricks or calculator hacks I can do so that I never forget again that my calculator is in radians instead of degrees when doing a question.

It is so annoying when you do all the correct working to find out you are in radians.

Are you allowed stickers saying radians on my calculator in exams?
Should I always have my calc in degrees, unless its a radians Q.

Please help, this is so annoying!

(A Level Maths - Edexcel)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by L1NKSK1
Does anyone have any tricks or calculator hacks I can do so that I never forget again that my calculator is in radians instead of degrees when doing a question.

It is so annoying when you do all the correct working to find out you are in radians.

Are you allowed stickers saying radians on my calculator in exams?
Should I always have my calc in degrees, unless its a radians Q.

Please help, this is so annoying!

(A Level Maths - Edexcel)

i don't think stickers on calculators are allowed (!), but trying something obvious like testing sin(90) = 1 should tell you that you are in degrees for example.
Definitely no stickers on calculators! That's cheating, intentional or not.

I would say defaulting to radians is good if you need to do any sort of integration/differentiation (they work in radians, not degrees). That said, I don't know Edexcel - someone would have a better idea than me which one is more useful (I was trained NOT to use a calculator, and all the angles were happened to be nice). That said,

(i) Have a quick check before taking the exam is good. Try something like sin(30) - if it turns out gibberish, you are in radian mode.
(ii) Have a bit of intuition whether your final answer makes sense.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest