The Student Room Group

How do i write faster in essay based subjects?

I do English Literature. A top essay is 1300 words in 40 - 45 mins.

The problem is I can only manage 600 words in 40 mins. It's not the handwriting that's holding me back, it's the thinking. I get so bogged down in the analysis it wastes so much time.

What should I do?
If you are doing GCSE english lit, you should remember quotes that are memorable enough for you to instantly think oh yes this analysis. Once you think of that analysis either see if you can expand on it or look for an alternative analysis. For me, once I get started, I try not to stop writing for longer than 3-5 seconds to think because I lose the writing flow so I try think whilst writing, perhaps giving myself 2-3 seconds to collect my thoughts just for that quote. If you can not write in detail for that quote, move on because you will lose more marks just trying to have 1 good quote with explanation than 2 quotes with 1 good explanation and 1 not so good explanation
Would doing a quick plan at the beginning (5 minutes for planning) help you to keep focus during the actual essay writing and speed you up?
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Would doing a quick plan at the beginning (5 minutes for planning) help you to keep focus during the actual essay writing and speed you up?

I think a 5 min plan only acts as a visual aid, doesn't speed up by much. (in the scheme of 1300 word essay that is).
Original post by asiandude123
If you are doing GCSE english lit, you should remember quotes that are memorable enough for you to instantly think oh yes this analysis. Once you think of that analysis either see if you can expand on it or look for an alternative analysis. For me, once I get started, I try not to stop writing for longer than 3-5 seconds to think because I lose the writing flow so I try think whilst writing, perhaps giving myself 2-3 seconds to collect my thoughts just for that quote. If you can not write in detail for that quote, move on because you will lose more marks just trying to have 1 good quote with explanation than 2 quotes with 1 good explanation and 1 not so good explanation

its a big challenge for me to write, remember and come up with new analysis at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest