The Student Room Group

What are exams like in Uni?

I know that there are a range of written exams and practical exams. For the written exams is it like alevel exams where they ask questions and you write down the answers?
Original post by Cloudster
I know that there are a range of written exams and practical exams. For the written exams is it like alevel exams where they ask questions and you write down the answers?

Yeah essentially like in one of mine I was asked to write some VHDL code for a multi plexor or a program to calculate the vertexes of a cube in another things like that you mean?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jonathanemptage
Yeah essentially like in one of mine I was asked to write some VHDL code for a multi plexor or a program to calculate the vertexes of a cube in another things like that you mean?

Yes, the exam is obviously timed but do they ask multiple questions like alevel papers and then we have to write the answers for them or is it only a few questions and we have to write a long essay for it?
Reply 3
Yes, the exam is obviously timed but do they ask multiple questions like alevel papers and then we have to write the answers for them or is it only a few questions and we have to write a long essay for it?

What subject for? It really varies based on that (and between uni/modules too). I do maths and mostly have exams with 3 or 4 multi-part questions to work through in 2 or 3 hours, very similar to A levels, but I have friends on humanities degrees who have single essay exams, or online exams where they have 24 hours to write a couple of long essays (sometimes with some shorter/multiple choice timed questions too if relevant).

Once you have your uni log-in you will probably be able to access past papers to see what it's like for your specific course and modules.

Depends on the subject some times it’ll have an essay sometimes multiple questions an exam will usually consist of 5 or so questions (mine did) and you’ll need to answer 3 of them usually you’ll be allowed notes (which may form part of your grade or there will be examples or you’ll be allowed a formula sheet. it’s not just regurgitating what you were taught in lectures and the like you’ll need to study and apply what you learnt it’s more testing that but you’ll also have TCA’s (time controlled assignments) where you’ll have a number of hours to do an assignment using any resources and equipment you need very similar to how thing’s might be done in a job. also some units will be 100% course work assessed.
Reply 5
Original post by Interea
What subject for? It really varies based on that (and between uni/modules too). I do maths and mostly have exams with 3 or 4 multi-part questions to work through in 2 or 3 hours, very similar to A levels, but I have friends on humanities degrees who have single essay exams, or online exams where they have 24 hours to write a couple of long essays (sometimes with some shorter/multiple choice timed questions too if relevant).

Once you have your uni log-in you will probably be able to access past papers to see what it's like for your specific course and modules.

I’m planning to do liberal arts. At the end of each year is the exam based on everything covered within the year?
Reply 6
Original post by jonathanemptage
Depends on the subject some times it’ll have an essay sometimes multiple questions an exam will usually consist of 5 or so questions (mine did) and you’ll need to answer 3 of them usually you’ll be allowed notes (which may form part of your grade or there will be examples or you’ll be allowed a formula sheet. it’s not just regurgitating what you were taught in lectures and the like you’ll need to study and apply what you learnt it’s more testing that but you’ll also have TCA’s (time controlled assignments) where you’ll have a number of hours to do an assignment using any resources and equipment you need very similar to how thing’s might be done in a job. also some units will be 100% course work assessed.

Thank you! I plan to do liberal arts which is a mixture of every subject.
Reply 7
I’m planning to do liberal arts. At the end of each year is the exam based on everything covered within the year?

A lot of unis use semesters, so you have two batches of assessments each year, and exams are split by module (so at the end of semester 1 you sit exams for each of your exam-based semester 1 modules, and the same at the end of semester 2). Sometimes modules run for the full year and are just examined at the end of semester 2. Other unis just have summer exams, so in term 3 you're tested on everything covered within that year (again split up by module). Sometimes you'll have a few modules combined on one paper, but usually not.

This is all talking very generally though, and there can be a lot of variation by module (e.g. most of mine have assignments and then a single summer exam, but I've had some with fortnightly tests throughout the term as well as a summer exam, some with several smaller exams at various points throughout the year, and others which are all coursework/project-based). Your course handbook should tell you the specifics for your chosen modules at your chosen uni.
Reply 8
Original post by Interea
A lot of unis use semesters, so you have two batches of assessments each year, and exams are split by module (so at the end of semester 1 you sit exams for each of your exam-based semester 1 modules, and the same at the end of semester 2). Sometimes modules run for the full year and are just examined at the end of semester 2. Other unis just have summer exams, so in term 3 you're tested on everything covered within that year (again split up by module). Sometimes you'll have a few modules combined on one paper, but usually not.

This is all talking very generally though, and there can be a lot of variation by module (e.g. most of mine have assignments and then a single summer exam, but I've had some with fortnightly tests throughout the term as well as a summer exam, some with several smaller exams at various points throughout the year, and others which are all coursework/project-based). Your course handbook should tell you the specifics for your chosen modules at your chosen uni.

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending