The Student Room Group

The Suffering Of Young People

I always hope the young people of today are coping well. It's very difficult to weather the storms of expectation and keeping a balance with mental health, especially when schools, peers and parents put pressure on them to succeed.

I see it too much, school/college/university students who are panicking about exams, worried about getting into the best universities and choosing the best subjects to take. What I know is that in most cases, you can find what you love to do without the need of college or university. Sure, I attended both and I academically achieved far greater than expected, whilst overcoming significant educational challenges, but I see that people run to what they want and if they can't get it they get upset.

Don't see failures to mean you're not good enough, see them as a way to improve yourself. By improving yourself, you put yourself in a much better position to get what you want and achieve a higher chance of success in the future. You have the power to make what you want come true if you work hard enough to attain it.

Most of all relax, you don't need to be so strung up. Life isn't always about a singular destination, it's about finding a way forward and usually there are multiple routes you can take.

It's important to lower your expectations, surround yourself with the people who represent the best parts of who you are, and to flourish by taking care of yourself.

You can't let the past or other people keep you down because they aren't you, they don't know you, they don't understand you. If there are any problems you have to sort them out for the betterment of your life, but don't dwell on failures-pick yourself up and find what you want and discover new things.

Again, I really hope young people are content with their lives and that they can keep the pressures of expectation at bay and that their mental health is sound.
Well said 👏🏻

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending