The Student Room Group

Deciding I don’t want to go to uni

I’m posting this here cause I dont know what else to do and I’m panicking.

I’ve been crying for the past week because it’s starting to hit me that I’m going to uni in a few weeks, and my mental health has been declining for months now. I don’t feel ready for it at all, but I feel like I’m so far into applying and preparing to go that I now have no other choice. I haven’t spoke to my parents about it cause I know that they won’t be happy about me not going. I feel like I don’t have a choice… I’ve paid a deposit for accommodation as well. Is it too late anyway to defer entry to next year?
Hey take it easy young lady/man [more likely lady as you say you have been crying, but guys cry too!],

Either way, it can be worrisome going away from home for the first time and managing on your own, but you tend to get used to it v soon. You will meet new young people like yourself, including your classmates and others, and it will be an eye-opening experience, I can assure you. Are you going to a uni v far from home? I would discuss how you feel with your parents, or if that sounds nerve-wrecking, then with an older sibling or family friend. Tho uni might seem like a far cry from your sheltered life hitherto, you can come home [distance permitting] as many weekends as is practical - most students come home with their laundry for mum to handle and to take back food, but gradually need to come less often as they become more independent.

As for your health, go and have a chat with your doctor - they are trained to handle this type of scenario - in fact, quite often medics recommend people to pursue a new venture and be active, as this generally is a remedial exercise in people suffering psychological issues.

After giving the thought of uni a very good chance, if you still feel v hesitant to start, dw it is not the end of the world - I presume you have just done your A levels, so you are v young - take a gap year doing something you like/enjoy, and I am sure you will feel different next year.

If you need more reassurance, you now know where to find Sheldon! :colondollar:

Best of luck!
M
It may be too late to apply for deferred entry. Have you signed a contract for your accommodation though?? Because if you have and drop out you may still be liable to pay the entire year’s rent.

Quick Reply

Latest