The Student Room Group

How can I go about appealing my army application after medically unfit report?

I have been trying to apply to the army for 2 years. I almost got there at the end of last year before I ended up with a (non-serious, but painful) back injury in a work accident. This meant that due to the recovery time, I had to remove my application.

As soon as I was fit again this April my application went straight back in, where today I just found out that they have declared me medically unfit due to a large number of reasons - all reasons except 1 are easy to appeal to due to my GP not actually discharging me from any of the appointments. Not only this but I no longer suffer with any of the conditions.

The main issue I am worried about, is that it states I had depression/ low mood in 2015 and 2020. I received citalopram for 2020 and did not recieve treatment in 2015 - though it states I was referred to talking therapy. The main issue is that in 2015 I was told that my mood was hormonal and due to the fact I was a young teenage girl working towards her exams. There was no mention of depression. The 2020 diagnosis came from an abusive relationship - this is the one which deferred me in my previous application but I was able to appeal it successfully.

I am unsure of where to even start as this report has a totally different choice of reasons as to why I'm technically unfit for service. This is the same medical record that was sent before (twice due to the length of my previous application) and nothing was brought up or explained aside from the 2020 episode of depression.

My army careers centre has said that it is very likely that the assessment centre are just nit picking and that it should be easy enough to appeal. I have a call with med ex tomorrow, where they will tell me sort of what i need. But in the meantime does anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
As an ex-RAF Recruiter, I can say that that Recruitment staff cannot comment on individual cases as they are not qualified to do so. I had an RAF Medic in my office and even he couldn't make comments such as have been made to you about 'easy to appeal'.

You need to check exactly what it says in your medical records and get written evidence from professionals in support of anything that is incorrect or that has changed. Your own GP, for example, can't say you are fit enough to join up; they should only comment on your personal situation.

Medical standards for the Armed Forces are written based on research into conditions and the chance of another occurrence, causing harm not only to a candidate, but those around them during training and working. They aren't going to take the risk on someone suffering a debiliting injury and/or failing on a task, whether on exercise or operation.
Reply 2
Hi thank you for this. I have seen my GP and got an appointment with some medics to talk about my appeal. After looking at my report they have rejected me on the basis of queries...the 2015 mental health episode states clearly that its not depression or anxiety but tiredness due to exams and school - at this point I was undiagnosed dyslexic which when we discovered I was, my report clearly states I experience tiredness when studying etc.
There is clear evidence showing that I have never suffered or was actually diagnosed with the ailments the army have rejected me on - the queries have only been in doctors notes where they have asked about family history etc.
The remaining elements, I was told, are just tying up loose ends where I have moved GP surgeries and notes have been lost along the way. The careers office said I've got a strong case against me and that most of what has been brought up should never have even come into question.

One thing I'm left asking though is if the assessment centre have access to the appointment reports/notes or if its like lists of when I've seen the doctor and a best fit of what it was about - followed by a quick explanation.

I'm trying to ask for help to get together what I need for the appeal but the people who I have had a call with said they cannot explicitly help me with this but guide me to the right people. I already have a note being put together by the GP, but I was wondering if it would be beneficial to add in my dyslexia report and the appointment notes from 2015?
Reply 3
They've seen your medical records. For the appeal, put in evidence that addresses the reasons for the rejection; don't pad it out with unnecessary information.
Original post by Hvmb_22
Hi thank you for this. I have seen my GP and got an appointment with some medics to talk about my appeal. After looking at my report they have rejected me on the basis of queries...the 2015 mental health episode states clearly that its not depression or anxiety but tiredness due to exams and school - at this point I was undiagnosed dyslexic which when we discovered I was, my report clearly states I experience tiredness when studying etc.
There is clear evidence showing that I have never suffered or was actually diagnosed with the ailments the army have rejected me on - the queries have only been in doctors notes where they have asked about family history etc.
The remaining elements, I was told, are just tying up loose ends where I have moved GP surgeries and notes have been lost along the way. The careers office said I've got a strong case against me and that most of what has been brought up should never have even come into question.

One thing I'm left asking though is if the assessment centre have access to the appointment reports/notes or if its like lists of when I've seen the doctor and a best fit of what it was about - followed by a quick explanation.

I'm trying to ask for help to get together what I need for the appeal but the people who I have had a call with said they cannot explicitly help me with this but guide me to the right people. I already have a note being put together by the GP, but I was wondering if it would be beneficial to add in my dyslexia report and the appointment notes from 2015?

hello. Were you successful?

Quick Reply

Latest