The Student Room Group
Graduation
Arts University Bournemouth
Poole
Visit website

Deciding between AUB and Brighton Met

Hi so I’m struggling to work out which uni to go for as both have pros and cons I’ve got a place at Stage management at Brighton Met and Creative events management at AUB and I’m just struggling can any discuss what the culture is around neurodivergency and being Queer there as both seem great places to live plus can any cons that come up be discussed? I want to be able to enjoy the sea and also being openly out rather then shunned away like I as in my home town as it’s a very homophobic place. My grades am working towards are triple star distinction and I’ve got offers from both places but am very conflicted
Thank you all! Look forward to hearing back
Hi there,

We’re so sorry to hear that you’ve experienced homophobia in your hometown. We believe that everybody has a right to be accepted and celebrated for who they are, and if you visit our campus any day of the week, you’ll see it’s full of people being their most authentic selves.

From a student perspective, you might be interested in this interview with the LGBTQ+ Officers from the Students’ Union (aub.ac.uk/latest/being-lgbtq-at-aub) offering first-hand experience and showing the support and community that’ll be available to you. All members of staff also receive Equality, Diversity and Inclusion training everyone from your lecturers and technicians to those working behind the scenes in professional services so support can be found everywhere at AUB. In a recent poll (taken from the article) 93% of students who identified as gay or lesbian were satisfied with their experience at AUB overall. The same was said by 77% students identifying as bisexual, and 81% of those who identified as other.

Bournemouth itself is an inclusive place to live, with a thriving queer community and nightlife in the Triangle district in town. For more on this it might be worth looking into Bourne Free (bournefree.co.uk) a charity who run our Pride festival and other events and work with the community.

Also as you mentioned being neurodivergent, check out (aub.ac.uk/support/disabled-students) for information on some of the support available to you if you choose to disclose a disability to the team.

We really hope this puts some of your worries to rest, but if you’d like to know more about the student experience at AUB, let us know and we'd be happy to put you in touch with current students or the LGBT+ Officers in AUBSU.

best of luck with your studies and we hope to see you soon!

The AUB Team
Graduation
Arts University Bournemouth
Poole
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending