The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Getting a car before Uni (Sussex)

So I have my driving test in June and I’m feeling pretty confident about it. For the sake of my situation let’s just assume that I pass the first time! My original plan was to buy a car pretty much immediately after I pass my test, nothing too expensive but I’m sick of public transport and having to pay for Ubers to get places that I know I could easily drive to.

Anyway, I know that owning a car while studying at Sussex is pretty pointless because Brighton has reliable 24hour public transport and it’s probably easier to get around the city by bus/ train. My problem is that although I’m aware of this, not only do I really want a car (like I’m way too emotionally invested in this thing by now) but also I live in Birmingham currently which is about a 2hr 45min drive to Brighton on a good day, but without a car it’s 1 or 2 hours longer and three trains or something crazy like that. For context, I’d be visiting home during holidays and a few times during term.

Even though owning a car might not be the best idea when living in Brighton, it’s the best way for me to travel home and back semi- regularly. So what do you think?

Also, if anyone has studied or is studying at Sussex and owns a car, how did you manage and did you regret bringing your car with you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending