The Student Room Group

Year 12 grades

Hey, I’m a bit worried. I’m still waiting for my year 12 results, and I was wondering what is the lowest grade I can get without failing. Also, if I were to fail, what would happen? If it’s just one subject, do I have to repeat the entire year again? I’m not really sure, it hasn’t been discussed much, so I thought this would be a good place to ask.
Original post by Salame
Hey, I’m a bit worried. I’m still waiting for my year 12 results, and I was wondering what is the lowest grade I can get without failing. Also, if I were to fail, what would happen? If it’s just one subject, do I have to repeat the entire year again? I’m not really sure, it hasn’t been discussed much, so I thought this would be a good place to ask.

The reason it hasn't been discussed much is because (assuming that you're in England) the end of year 12 results don't impact your final A level results. So you can "fail" now and still end up with an impressive set of A levels. (If you're not based in England, are you International or elsewhere in the UK?)

In terms of the "lowest grade I can get without failing" that would an E at A level. Below that you would receive a U (for unclassified). However, if these are internal end-of-year exams, your school/college can decide to grade them however they like.

If you do poorly, your school/college will likely try to help you recover that grade rather than suggest you repeat the year. I suspect you're worrying about nothing. When do you expect to get your results?
Reply 2
Well I got a U on an AS paper so I can’t go onto year 13 right.
Original post by Deppolf

No,
Were they the offical paper or just end of year exams Do you know why you got a U ?
Do you know what you need to do in Y13
Original post by Deppolf

Was that a question? Why can't you go onto Year 13? Is that the policy of your school / college?

If you are in England, then the "AS" result has zero impact on any future A level result. Also, if you're in England its very likely to have just been an internal end-of-year exam anyway. If you are in Wales or Northern Ireland then the AS grade contributes 40% of your A result; if you're international, it's 50%.

This means that its perfectly possible to get a U at AS and then still get a "normal" (non-U) grade for your A level. It's not going to be an A*, but it doesn't have to be a U.
Reply 5
Original post by Deppolf

To be honest, it depends on what you got in your other subjects as well, whether or not you failed or passed. I got an E in one of my subjects however my college is making me do another assessment before year 13 starts so that they can check on whether or not i can continue with that certain subject.
Reply 6
Yes they were official papers and I’m disappointed and shocked but I’m not willing to repeat the year. I want to make an academic come back if my school won’t kick me out that is.
Reply 7
Original post by DataVenia
The reason it hasn't been discussed much is because (assuming that you're in England) the end of year 12 results don't impact your final A level results. So you can "fail" now and still end up with an impressive set of A levels. (If you're not based in England, are you International or elsewhere in the UK?)

In terms of the "lowest grade I can get without failing" that would an E at A level. Below that you would receive a U (for unclassified). However, if these are internal end-of-year exams, your school/college can decide to grade them however they like.

If you do poorly, your school/college will likely try to help you recover that grade rather than suggest you repeat the year. I suspect you're worrying about nothing. When do you expect to get your results?

Hey, thank you so much for the response! Sorry for the late reply, but I guess I had nothing to worry about since I passed and was quite far from receiving a U.
Original post by Salame

Hey! The lowest grade for a pass is an E. I don't know if this is for every college, but if they are worried about someone underperforming, they usually talk to them before college starts. By the time you go into yr 13, they have usually marked the results and and deciding/ decided on predicted grades. I don't think they will make you repeat the year, but if you are worried, maybe try talking to your tutorial teacher or class teachers?
Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest