The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship concerns in Bristol

I'm about to start an apprenticeship in Bristol, but Bristol isn't exactly within commutable distance for me (50 minute drive on the motorway) so I would have to likely live in Bristol since its full time.

The salary is roughly 25K/year which has me working as well as working towards a level 6 degree all paid for (I am 18).

The problem is Bristol is one of the cities with the highest rent in the UK and I see some flats going between 2-3K occasionally going a little lower. With around 2K/month of income from the apprenticeship, not including tax or other costs, I'll be in the negative if I were to pay rent, and since my family isn't very wealthy they won't be able to support me.

Does the Bristol Council or government potentially have any lifelines for students in similar situations? Or is there anything I can do? It's a long shot but if not, I may have to reject the offer.

I can ask the company if they have any programs for students in these circumstances to help with rent and properties but I doubt they do as they mention being within commutable distance is a must.

Thanks.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bowspirit932
I'm about to start an apprenticeship in Bristol, but Bristol isn't exactly within commutable distance for me (50 minute drive on the motorway) so I would have to likely live in Bristol since its full time.

The salary is roughly 25K/year which has me working as well as working towards a level 6 degree all paid for (I am 18).

The problem is Bristol is one of the cities with the highest rent in the UK and I see some flats going between 2-3K occasionally going a little lower. With around 2K/month of income from the apprenticeship, not including tax or other costs, I'll be in the negative if I were to pay rent, and since my family isn't very wealthy they won't be able to support me.

Does the Bristol Council or government potentially have any lifelines for students in similar situations? Or is there anything I can do? It's a long shot but if not, I may have to reject the offer.

I can ask the company if they have any programs for students in these circumstances to help with rent and properties but I doubt they do as they mention being within commutable distance is a must.

Thanks.

https://www.spareroom.co.uk/

Thanks.

Why don't you look into shared accommodation? There is no need for you to pressure yourself into renting a whole flat just for yourself. Most of your time will be spent working and studying anyway.

I don't know about Bristol specifically but in general, there are many more affordable options including:
-student accommodation (you may be eligible as you're studying a degree but this is at the discretion of each accommodation)
-professional house-share (this is like a normal house-share but it's normally through an agency that ensures that people living there are normal, working professionals and aren't gonna cause trouble)
-studio flats (definitely cheaper than a normal flat, sometimes bills are included)
-normal house shared (this is a really hit-or-miss option because there is so much variety out there, you might end up renting a room within a house, or nearly a studio flat but with a shared bathroom etc; the people might be great or not so much etc.)
Original post by Mara1680
Why don't you look into shared accommodation? There is no need for you to pressure yourself into renting a whole flat just for yourself. Most of your time will be spent working and studying anyway.

I don't know about Bristol specifically but in general, there are many more affordable options including:
-student accommodation (you may be eligible as you're studying a degree but this is at the discretion of each accommodation)
-professional house-share (this is like a normal house-share but it's normally through an agency that ensures that people living there are normal, working professionals and aren't gonna cause trouble)
-studio flats (definitely cheaper than a normal flat, sometimes bills are included)
-normal house shared (this is a really hit-or-miss option because there is so much variety out there, you might end up renting a room within a house, or nearly a studio flat but with a shared bathroom etc; the people might be great or not so much etc.)

I have actually had a second look at properties near the area and there are definitely some cheaper options which are actually affordable, but yeah I might have to look into shared accommodation. One of my concerns is definitely noise and problems from house share so it's good to know there are agencies which ensure it's only for people that won't cause trouble and party all night.

I was also thinking about student accommodation as you mentioned but I should contact the company/partnering university about this.

Thank you for your suggestions!
Reply 4

Thanks.

Hi
I am starting a degree apprenticeship in Bristol as well and hoping to get in a flat share with students . When does your apprenticeship start ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending