The Student Room Group

Degree apprenticeship vs Uni

I got in amazon’s degree apprenticeship for Data analytics but originally I was planning to study maths at university of Bristol. I’m bit confused now where I should go. Which option would you pick if you were in my place?
Reply 1
Original post by karan.cok
I got in amazon’s degree apprenticeship for Data analytics but originally I was planning to study maths at university of Bristol. I’m bit confused now where I should go. Which option would you pick if you were in my place?

There are benefits and disadvantages for both, but first off congratulations on your offer!
For Degree Apprenticeships
- No debt to worry about. You're also actively earning a salary, which is extremely useful.
- Often guaranteed a job after the apprenticeship: no stress about that
- With Amazon, there's a lot of prestige for working with it that looks good on a CV. The experience alone puts you above any uni graduates when applying for jobs.
On the other hand:
- They can be stressful, as you need to balance work and a degree
- You don't normally get that uni life, like societies and such, which might be problematic - then again, you'll probably make friends in the work place.

Really, the major benefit for Bristol is that it leaves you're options open a lot more - e.g. you could go into accounting, data science, research, etcetera. The apprenticeship gives you a lot of skills but doesn't necessarily allow you to explore other sectors as much. If you're set on Data Science in the future, the apprenticeship is probably the way to go, but obviously this is up to you. If you want to try out many things, Bristol is probably the way to go.

I hope that helps! It's a hard decision, so I'd definitely recommend getting many viewpoints from others, friends and family, and weighing up the pros and cons yourself. I think a major thing to consider, is would you want to go into Data Science anyway after a degree?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending