The Student Room Group

How should I revise in the 3 weeks left?

I have 3 weeks left till my first GCSE exam, and I wanted to know what should I revise or do in those 3 weeks. And my weak subject is English Language and how do you revise for language. Thanks
Original post by spaul04
I have 3 weeks left till my first GCSE exam, and I wanted to know what should I revise or do in those 3 weeks. And my weak subject is English Language and how do you revise for language. Thanks

Hi,
I would recommend pulling up a schedule with a very brief title of what you plan to do for the next 3 weeks. For example, you could write just the subject you want to do each day and the topic you want to study eg Biology-cells and plan the next 3 weeks ahead like this. This just organises it so that you make sure that you are covering everything by the exams. It can also be useful to write how long you plan to study that subject for so that you're not overwhelmed if you give yourself too much to do. Then, when it comes to the day before, you can write up a more detailed plan eg Biology- cells - eukaryotic vs prokaryotic (30 mins). I used this method to manage my time and was able to revise all the content for my GCSEs in time.
As for english language, start try to build up your vocabulary and different ways of writing especially for the paper where you write up your own piece. This also helps with analysing other texts, the best way to do this is to ask your teacher for some texts or pull up literally any piece of text that could be from a book, a speech or even a song lyric and try to make your own analysis paragraph. This just builds up skills and the more practice you do, the more prepared you are with any kind of text they give you. Also try stick to a structure. At GCSE, you can literally just follow PEED so your point, evidence, explain and develop (using chains of analysis where your sentences follow this means that, this is because, this leads to etc).
It's been about 2 years since I did my GCSE's so I'm a bit rusty of what I can remember from GCSE English language but I did geet a 9 with what I just mentioned so hopefully this help:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Carrotsroom
Hi,
I would recommend pulling up a schedule with a very brief title of what you plan to do for the next 3 weeks. For example, you could write just the subject you want to do each day and the topic you want to study eg Biology-cells and plan the next 3 weeks ahead like this. This just organises it so that you make sure that you are covering everything by the exams. It can also be useful to write how long you plan to study that subject for so that you're not overwhelmed if you give yourself too much to do. Then, when it comes to the day before, you can write up a more detailed plan eg Biology- cells - eukaryotic vs prokaryotic (30 mins). I used this method to manage my time and was able to revise all the content for my GCSEs in time.
As for english language, start try to build up your vocabulary and different ways of writing especially for the paper where you write up your own piece. This also helps with analysing other texts, the best way to do this is to ask your teacher for some texts or pull up literally any piece of text that could be from a book, a speech or even a song lyric and try to make your own analysis paragraph. This just builds up skills and the more practice you do, the more prepared you are with any kind of text they give you. Also try stick to a structure. At GCSE, you can literally just follow PEED so your point, evidence, explain and develop (using chains of analysis where your sentences follow this means that, this is because, this leads to etc).
It's been about 2 years since I did my GCSE's so I'm a bit rusty of what I can remember from GCSE English language but I did geet a 9 with what I just mentioned so hopefully this help:smile:

Thanks for the help😊! Just a question: how many English past papers should I do in a week? And I am currently working at grade 5 in English, so should I do lots of practice to improve my grade🤔? And someone told me to go on Guardian and see people's opinions on topics, analyse their viewpoints, or make inferences based on what they are trying to say. Will this be helpful for Language Paper 2? Thanks.
Original post by spaul04

Do lots of past papers and revise your weakest topics. Also see if you can find questions specific to the topics you find difficult (eg say you find titration calculations in chemistry difficult then find questions for that and do lots of them).

For English language, definitely make sure u have good understanding of the assessment objectives and skills theyre looking for when u answer questions. I reccommend watching youtube videos which explain how to answer each question, look at model answers for each question and follow those (you can look them up), and then just do lots of practice (in the time you have in the exam as english lang timings are quite tight i think). Which exam board do u do? If it's AQA i do AQA too so i can send some of the resources I use if it helps?
Reply 4
Original post by user01906002
Do lots of past papers and revise your weakest topics. Also see if you can find questions specific to the topics you find difficult (eg say you find titration calculations in chemistry difficult then find questions for that and do lots of them).

For English language, definitely make sure u have good understanding of the assessment objectives and skills theyre looking for when u answer questions. I reccommend watching youtube videos which explain how to answer each question, look at model answers for each question and follow those (you can look them up), and then just do lots of practice (in the time you have in the exam as english lang timings are quite tight i think). Which exam board do u do? If it's AQA i do AQA too so i can send some of the resources I use if it helps?

Thanks and yes I do AQA.
Original post by spaul04
Thanks for the help😊! Just a question: how many English past papers should I do in a week? And I am currently working at grade 5 in English, so should I do lots of practice to improve my grade🤔? And someone told me to go on Guardian and see people's opinions on topics, analyse their viewpoints, or make inferences based on what they are trying to say. Will this be helpful for Language Paper 2? Thanks.

This depends on your other subjects too and if putting more time towards English might affect your performance in your other subjects too. From my experience, 1-2 per week was effective for me meaning you'll have done about 6 by your exams. Definitely don't try overdo it though because you don't want to be burnout for your exams, just remember what you're getting out of doing exam papers. It'll be really helpful doing it under timed conditions and handing it in to your teachers to mark but for the first few you do, you can just use the papers to develop your skills so its not directly making you go under exam conditions which might put a lot of pressure on you.
The thing is with GCSE English language, from what I remember anyway, you don't need real facts and figures- you can literally make them up when you're writing that part of the paper. It could be useful for your other questions as it may help you analyse but I wouldnt use any facts and figures, maybe just thoughts and ideas that you could steal from them as inspiration since the shorter questions (I think it was like 8/16 marks) are purely looking for your own analysis and how you can develop on point and link it through with another so peoples opinions might not be so helpful to use in your answers. However, using a piece of text from a newspaper can totally be used as a practice text where you make up your own questions. Remember that there are patterns in exam papers and the way they ask questions for each paper for every year will be similar (eg a shorter question will usually start with explain and a longer marked question will usually start with assess or evaluate). Thats another thing you should start looking out for when you practice exam papers too as you know what style of writing their expecting every time.
Original post by spaul04

Heya!
The best way is to do past papers and go through the mark scheme afterwards to see how you can improve your answers :h: If it helps, Study Mind has free past paper resources you will find helpful!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 7
Original post by spaul04

my plan is to scan through the spec for all my subjects and write down everything i need to go over. basically just constant to-do lists to make sure i don’t miss anything out - you’ll lose enough marks from not putting exactly what’s on the mark scheme or not being able to figure it out, so the last thing you want to do is lose marks for simply not knowing something you should know. also make sure to give all your subjects equal revision time, and don’t neglect the ones you like the least - it may be painful, but we’re on the homestretch now! also, don’t let the stress get to you bc a good mindset makes all the different to your motivation. hope this helps x

Quick Reply

Latest