The Student Room Group

I can’t do A Levels anymore

I am a year 12 student. However I have a difficult home life that means that my mental health is not good. When I started year 12, I was just trying to get through each day, not even caring about my grades or studying. I was surprised I made it to September. I have got better now and I can see a way out of this place as I was able to let go of many toxic ideas that had been put into my head. If I get good grades, I can go to uni and get a job and leave this household far far behind me.

However, as I haven’t been studying I am very far behind. I hate one of my subjects, the other one I am doing fine in and have loved it and the final one I am easily catching up in but it is a lot of work. I am terrified for next year as I am struggling to balance the workload as it is also so hard for me to just complete some basic tasks at times.

For the subject I hate, my parents forced me to take it and it gives me the most work and i am struggling. I don’t even like the course nor does it have anything to do with my future plans. I don’t want to resit as it will just be the same thing again and i really don’t want to do A levels for another year. I can’t ask the teacher for help as we don’t really get along and I don’t feel that there is much they can do. I still struggle to get stuff done and therefore don’t want to get stuck going to extra classes or something like that when on most days I know I won’t get anything out of it as I will still be struggling with my mental health too much to care.

I hate A levels so much, I feel if I was done with them I would do much better mentally. Catching up is so hard as I have to keep trying to keep up with my current work. I often find myself wasting time on my phone, trying to forget my pain. I have too much on my plate right now. The second year just looks like too much. I know a girl who was allowed to drop an alevel for reasons similar to mine but I don’t want to be disadvantaged when applying for uni or jobs etc as I would only have 2 a levels and also my parents won’t let me either. I would love to swap to another a level that I would prefer that my college offers and suits me better but I know it is too late in the year and I would still be very far behind and have to catch up. I just feel like I’m drowning in all the mess and stress around me and no one can pull me out.

If anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated.
what is your ultimate goal? do you have a passion? is there something that makes you feel really happy when you do it? i understand things are really hard and it's perfectly fine to be not okay. you're not alone, and we all understand alevels are really really tough. if you feel like if you were done with them you would do much better mentally, then would that be a motivating factor for you to just get them over with? i think it's really hard to start moving and be motivated to catch up with school work, by only looking at your end goal/ultimate goal (which in your case is going to uni and leaving home), but if it makes it easier, try setting small daily goals for yourself. if you believe in yourself, you can do it!

Quick Reply

Latest