The Student Room Group

EO Decision Maker - Civil Service Interview

Hello!
I have been offered an interview for an EO Role within the Civil Service.
I know the 4 Behaviours they are looking for and that I should have STAR answers prepared. If anyone has any help/guidance or advice regarding types of questions at this EO level, I would be more than grateful

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apart from making effective decisions, which behaviours are you getting marked on? And is it pre recorded video you have to submit?
Original post by Sumzfc
Apart from making effective decisions, which behaviours are you getting marked on? And is it pre recorded video you have to submit?

Hi!
Making effective decisions
Managing a quality service
Leadership
Communicating and influencing

It is a Teams interview so not pre-recorded
Reply 3
Original post by fordsurely7
Hi!
Making effective decisions
Managing a quality service
Leadership
Communicating and influencing

It is a Teams interview so not pre-recorded

Oh leadership too? Im a decision maker in HO and wasn't marked on leadership. Wouldn’t even know how to advice you on that unfortunately. Maybe Youtube this?

however, on decision making you can be asked:

Tell me a time you made an effective decision?
So here you when you answer, follow the STAR and really try your best to give a complex issue and how you solved the issue by making a decision. What happend? Why did it happen? What steps did you take to resolve it? Was there any risks? Did you have to discuss this before implementing the decision? And then at the end (result) make sure its a positive result and explain how your decision making helped the situation.

Tell me a time you made an impartial decision?
so here again, what was the decision, how did you ensure it was impartial, any risks and benefits when implementing your decision, did you consult with anyone with your decision making and how did your impartial decision help the organisation.

communicating and influencing - tell a time you user your communication skill effectively for a successful outcome?

so here same as before, what did you communicate and how, what kind of methods of communication did you use, how did you know your communication style you used was best and how did it help the organisation, how did you know the communication was understood, any problems when communicating, if any problems how did you fix this, what was the result of your action?

tell me time you communicated and influenced with someone?

Why did you do this, how did you do this, who did you communicate and influence, what benefits of doing this, any risks involved, did you involve others in this, what was the result.

Managing quality service - tell me a time
you focused on improving a service that a customers received and how did you do this?

how did you work with the customer to do this, did you create a plan, did you keep stakeholders informed, any problems, how did you provide good customer service, was cost effectiveness involved, how were you unique with the service provided compared to before or with competitors, what was the end result.

Tell me a time you provided a good customer skills?

this should be a easy one lol.

tips: practice, keep notes around laptop for pointers, try to be confident and speak clear. Make sure you use STAR method when answering and really focus on your A-action when answering your questions. Good luck!

when is your interview and which department is this for?
Original post by Sumzfc
Oh leadership too? Im a decision maker in HO and wasn't marked on leadership. Wouldn’t even know how to advice you on that unfortunately. Maybe Youtube this?

however, on decision making you can be asked:

Tell me a time you made an effective decision?
So here you when you answer, follow the STAR and really try your best to give a complex issue and how you solved the issue by making a decision. What happend? Why did it happen? What steps did you take to resolve it? Was there any risks? Did you have to discuss this before implementing the decision? And then at the end (result) make sure its a positive result and explain how your decision making helped the situation.

Tell me a time you made an impartial decision?
so here again, what was the decision, how did you ensure it was impartial, any risks and benefits when implementing your decision, did you consult with anyone with your decision making and how did your impartial decision help the organisation.

communicating and influencing - tell a time you user your communication skill effectively for a successful outcome?

so here same as before, what did you communicate and how, what kind of methods of communication did you use, how did you know your communication style you used was best and how did it help the organisation, how did you know the communication was understood, any problems when communicating, if any problems how did you fix this, what was the result of your action?

tell me time you communicated and influenced with someone?

Why did you do this, how did you do this, who did you communicate and influence, what benefits of doing this, any risks involved, did you involve others in this, what was the result.

Managing quality service - tell me a time
you focused on improving a service that a customers received and how did you do this?

how did you work with the customer to do this, did you create a plan, did you keep stakeholders informed, any problems, how did you provide good customer service, was cost effectiveness involved, how were you unique with the service provided compared to before or with competitors, what was the end result.

Tell me a time you provided a good customer skills?

this should be a easy one lol.

tips: practice, keep notes around laptop for pointers, try to be confident and speak clear. Make sure you use STAR method when answering and really focus on your A-action when answering your questions. Good luck!

when is your interview and which department is this for?

Thank you very much for this. It is more than I could have expected in terms of helping with the questions.
I know I need to have my examples ready, I am finding it difficult to think of some though I know I must do this in my daily practice at work but I need to get some together.
How are you finding working in the Home Office?
It is for DWP and the interview is next week
Reply 5
Thank you very much for this. It is more than I could have expected in terms of helping with the questions.
I know I need to have my examples ready, I am finding it difficult to think of some though I know I must do this in my daily practice at work but I need to get some together.
How are you finding working in the Home Office?
It is for DWP and the interview is next week

No problem mate. These are just examples above, i mean there is a chance you will be asked this or slightly worded differently but remember the end result will be the same!

Oh my bad i don't know why I thought you said Home Office i just realised you said civil service 😂

Good luck i passed my EO interview with DWP and found out on Monday but i have been placed in the reserve lists which was annoying but at least i passed the interview and i know area of improvement for next time.

Yes i know it is difficult to think of answers but just give your best shot that is all you can do! Yes HO is decent place, i work from home and office so its a nice balance. Everyone have their own opinions on civil service some good, some bad and some very bad. But you wouldn’t know until you don’t actually do it so go in with a positive attitude :smile:

Remember to answer the small questions under each behaviour i provided, trust me that will help you to secure higher marks. Also there should be like behaviour guidance provided by DWP and try to follow those for the EO grade which may help you to tailor your answers.

I think i seen the EO decision maker role at DWP which was interesting actually few weeks ago but i did not apply as it wasn’t in my desired location and i don’t even have leadership experience which i can really use as answers🙃

Hope you get it though :smile:
Original post by Sumzfc
No problem mate. These are just examples above, i mean there is a chance you will be asked this or slightly worded differently but remember the end result will be the same!

Oh my bad i don't know why I thought you said Home Office i just realised you said civil service 😂

Good luck i passed my EO interview with DWP and found out on Monday but i have been placed in the reserve lists which was annoying but at least i passed the interview and i know area of improvement for next time.

Yes i know it is difficult to think of answers but just give your best shot that is all you can do! Yes HO is decent place, i work from home and office so its a nice balance. Everyone have their own opinions on civil service some good, some bad and some very bad. But you wouldn’t know until you don’t actually do it so go in with a positive attitude :smile:

Remember to answer the small questions under each behaviour i provided, trust me that will help you to secure higher marks. Also there should be like behaviour guidance provided by DWP and try to follow those for the EO grade which may help you to tailor your answers.

I think i seen the EO decision maker role at DWP which was interesting actually few weeks ago but i did not apply as it wasn’t in my desired location and i don’t even have leadership experience which i can really use as answers🙃

Hope you get it though :smile:

Cheers again. All this information is really helping me. Going to get really stuck in and prepare as much as I can. Like everyone, I know I will be nervous and I need to remember they are just people like everyone else.
Hopefully will sell myself as well as I can do

Thank you again :smile: :yy:
Reply 7
Cheers again. All this information is really helping me. Going to get really stuck in and prepare as much as I can. Like everyone, I know I will be nervous and I need to remember they are just people like everyone else.
Hopefully will sell myself as well as I can do

Thank you again :smile: :yy:

Good luck, it is normal to be nervous and im sure they will understand that. Definitely keep notes around your screen for guidance 🤞🏼
Hi
I have been placed on reserve list with a score of 30
Original post by RollingStar-000
Hi
I have been placed on reserve list with a score of 30

I am also on the reserve list with a score of 31
well done
well done

Congratulations 🥳
Hopefully we will get offers soon. Our score is very high.
well done

Everyone I know are on reserve list. Maybe they have placed everyone on reserve list and will be making offers soon.
If you receive an offer let me know please
Original post by RollingStar-000
Everyone I know are on reserve list. Maybe they have placed everyone on reserve list and will be making offers soon.
If you receive an offer let me know please

Interesting, but yes! I will update on here. Fingers crossed
Reply 13
Me too, I scored overall 38.
Any of you know what the score is out of?
Good luck!!
Original post by AB291
Me too, I scored overall 38.
Any of you know what the score is out of?
Good luck!!

Hi, where do you get to see your score? I received an email to say I’d passed but would like to see my score.
Reply 15
Original post by larleeuk
Hi, where do you get to see your score? I received an email to say I’d passed but would like to see my score.

On previous emails from civil service there will be a link to access your online account. Sign in and click feedback. Hope this helps :smile:
hey just wondering if anyone knows what the Situational Judgement Test is scored out of? I passed but only says score of 368 but not sure what that means.
Reply 17
Hi,
That wasn’t part of the assessment for this post we are discussing on this thread. I didn’t do one of them
Original post by AB291
Hi,
That wasn’t part of the assessment for this post we are discussing on this thread. I didn’t do one of them

ah okay I applied for General Executive Officer. I think theyr employing people for that grading then slotting them wherever they need to staff?
Reply 19
Original post by ABmacf
ah okay I applied for General Executive Officer. I think theyr employing people for that grading then slotting them wherever they need to staff?

No idea but good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending