The Student Room Group

A Level Options

Hi, I’m a current year ten student and I’m attempting to decide what A-Levels to take but I'm extremely indecisive - which is part of the reason I'm trying to choose my options now. I'm planning on doing 3 A-Levels but have 4 subjects I can't decide between so I was wondering what people taking those subjects thought of them. The subjects are: Early Modern History (Edexcel), English Lit (WJEC), German (AQA) and RS (OCR). History is pretty much guaranteed but I can't decide between the others. I also currently hate my English teacher, so that has negatively affected my opinion on the subject a little, as with my previous teacher I was even considering English at degree level. I am achieving top grades in History, English and German at GCSE. I don't do RS at GCSE but studied it until last year and loved it, and am also involved in debating and MUN, and have interests in the content of the subject. I also want to be a teacher when I'm older, and would teach any of these subjects unless I decide to go into Primary Education.

All feedback of any of these subjects is welcome so thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by anonymous27135
Hi, I’m a current year ten student and I’m attempting to decide what A-Levels to take but I'm extremely indecisive - which is part of the reason I'm trying to choose my options now. I'm planning on doing 3 A-Levels but have 4 subjects I can't decide between so I was wondering what people taking those subjects thought of them. The subjects are: Early Modern History (Edexcel), English Lit (WJEC), German (AQA) and RS (OCR). History is pretty much guaranteed but I can't decide between the others. I also currently hate my English teacher, so that has negatively affected my opinion on the subject a little, as with my previous teacher I was even considering English at degree level. I am achieving top grades in History, English and German at GCSE. I don't do RS at GCSE but studied it until last year and loved it, and am also involved in debating and MUN, and have interests in the content of the subject. I also want to be a teacher when I'm older, and would teach any of these subjects unless I decide to go into Primary Education.

If you have the grades for it you could take all 4 and drop the one you don't like. I knew someone who took 5 and dropped 1 (mental). If you want to go into teaching then it doesn't really matter but English or history would be best as a lot of schools don't teach German or rs (but no matter what you choose your options will be left open). Apologies I didn't tell you which one to drop but only you can decide that.
Reply 2
Original post by Andi.0k
If you have the grades for it you could take all 4 and drop the one you don't like. I knew someone who took 5 and dropped 1 (mental). If you want to go into teaching then it doesn't really matter but English or history would be best as a lot of schools don't teach German or rs (but no matter what you choose your options will be left open). Apologies I didn't tell you which one to drop but only you can decide that.

I did think about doing that but apparently the college I will probably go to don't like you doing that because it takes up a place someone else could have had in that class. Also, I already would have to do an extra hour a week for German because it is a language so I would be looking at around 19 hours a week of timetabled lessons. But thanks for your help :smile:
Look at the courses on offer and see which appeal to you the most.
i take RS (ocr) and i absolutely love it! i didn’t take it at GCSE either and it’s so interesting. you get to learn about philosophy, religion & ethics and whatever religion ur school chooses to study. in my case, it’s christianity :smile: good luck
Reply 5

English, History and German would be great for you. :biggrin: German with AQA only has one 2 hour 30 minutes Listening, Reading and Writing paper and a 2 hour, 2 x 300 word essays on a novel and film. The speaking element makes up 30% of your German grade, the difference between an A*, A or B?!
Reply 6
Original post by Learning4Fun
Look at the courses on offer and see which appeal to you the most.

I have looked at the specifications for each of the subjects, but only really found the History and RS specifications helpful - and both look very interesting. For English all I know is that I will study poetry, drama and prose - but I don't know what texts we will study, and don't really know what the lessons will be like. Is it like at GCSE? Interested on people's opinions if they take it.
For German, it says what modules we will learn, but again, I don't really know what the lessons will be like. Are they like GCSE? If not, how are they different? All I ever hear is that it's a big step up, but no one really gives anymore details. I would be very grateful if anyone can tell me more. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by alevelstudent090
i take RS (ocr) and i absolutely love it! i didn’t take it at GCSE either and it’s so interesting. you get to learn about philosophy, religion & ethics and whatever religion ur school chooses to study. in my case, it’s christianity :smile: good luck

I know we will be studying Buddhism - which I find extremely interesting. I looked at the specification and it did look very interesting - so I'm glad to see that it doesn't just look good on paper. How would you say lessons are structured - is there a lot of debate or is it more teacher-led? I know this might vary from teacher to teacher, but I'm interested to hear your experience.
Reply 8
Original post by thegeek888
English, History and German would be great for you. :biggrin: German with AQA only has one 2 hour 30 minutes Listening, Reading and Writing paper and a 2 hour, 2 x 300 word essays on a novel and film. The speaking element makes up 30% of your German grade, the difference between an A*, A or B?!

Would you say it is a big step up from GCSE? Also would you say you learn a lot about the culture of do you just become more fluent in the language? How fluent would you say you are by the end of the course? Sorry that's a lot of questions - I'm just curious :smile:
Reply 9
I have looked at the specifications for each of the subjects, but only really found the History and RS specifications helpful - and both look very interesting. For English all I know is that I will study poetry, drama and prose - but I don't know what texts we will study, and don't really know what the lessons will be like. Is it like at GCSE? Interested on people's opinions if they take it.
For German, it says what modules we will learn, but again, I don't really know what the lessons will be like. Are they like GCSE? If not, how are they different? All I ever hear is that it's a big step up, but no one really gives anymore details. I would be very grateful if anyone can tell me more. :smile:

Hi! I'm currently in year 12 and do a level german! Yes, they do differ from gcse as the class size is usually much smaller and the modules are totally different. I normally have one lesson a fortnight which is purely grammar, and grammar is the main jump from gcse to a level. The grammar gets much more complex and you also have to be comfortable using that grammar when writing essays about a book/film. That being said, I personally find the a level much more enjoyable as the topics are of genuine interest. As long as you keep on top of the work it is more than manageable, but just be prepared to start learning vocab and going over grammar from the start :smile:
Reply 10

Heya!

If it helps, use uniguide to check out what alvl combinations you can do :h: I would recommend looking up some courses and looking at their entry requirements, to see what they need! You can also start with 4 alvls and drop one later!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Would you say it is a big step up from GCSE? Also would you say you learn a lot about the culture of do you just become more fluent in the language? How fluent would you say you are by the end of the course? Sorry that's a lot of questions - I'm just curious :smile:

Both more fluent and much more than culture too. However, you will need to remember your GCSE German Higher Tier content. But A-Level German is like learning 5,000 words?! :biggrin: lol

Here is the AQA A-Level German Specification:

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/german/specifications/AQA-7662-SP-2016.PDF

Quick Reply

Latest