The Student Room Group

Smart Plugs

This may sound dumb but when you turn off a smart plug e.g. with alexa will it stop using electricity? So if I were to live my lamp switch on but plug it into a smart plug will they both stop using electricity if I turn the smart plug off?
Original post by Rohan007best
This may sound dumb but when you turn off a smart plug e.g. with alexa will it stop using electricity? So if I were to live my lamp switch on but plug it into a smart plug will they both stop using electricity if I turn the smart plug off?

It does indeed, yes :smile:
Reply 2
The smart plug will continue to draw the power it needs to remain in contact with the wireless system it receives commands from. That won't be much, but it does obviously need to use some power.
Original post by TNGFR
The smart plug will continue to draw the power it needs to remain in contact with the wireless system it receives commands from. That won't be much, but it does obviously need to use some power.

So will it affect my bill much is essentially what I'm asking if I lived it plugged in and switch the power socket on
Reply 4
Original post by Rohan007best
So will it affect my bill much is essentially what I'm asking if I lived it plugged in and switch the power socket on

That depends on which plugs you're using, but most consume less than 2W per hour while "off" but remaining in contact with the network. Look at the specs of the models you're considering, then if you have access to your energy contract or a smart meter that displays the rate, you can work out the approximate cost per day/week/month to decide whether the expense is acceptable for you.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending