The Student Room Group

Can you sit an EPA early?

As an apprentice, if your contract states that the apprenticeship has a specific expected duration, but you finish the training early and feel ready for the EPA, can you take it early? Does it depend completely on the employer or do you have an input too?
Original post by Mara1680
As an apprentice, if your contract states that the apprenticeship has a specific expected duration, but you finish the training early and feel ready for the EPA, can you take it early? Does it depend completely on the employer or do you have an input too?

As you may know, a degree apprenticeship is composed of the Knowledge Skills and Behaviours. The knowledge is given by the academic course, skills by the workplace and Behaviours by both.

If you have successfully completed the academic qualification and have the certificate and you have enough evidence for the knowledge skills and Behaviours to pass as per the apprenticeship standard then you can apply for EPA.

So ultimately the decisions lie firstly with the employer as you'll need to pass their gateway to apply for EPA. They may decide to insist you don't until you have 'x' years experience but this would be unreasonable if you can prove you have enough evidence to pass already.
Reply 2
Original post by OblongPea
As you may know, a degree apprenticeship is composed of the Knowledge Skills and Behaviours. The knowledge is given by the academic course, skills by the workplace and Behaviours by both.

If you have successfully completed the academic qualification and have the certificate and you have enough evidence for the knowledge skills and Behaviours to pass as per the apprenticeship standard then you can apply for EPA.

So ultimately the decisions lie firstly with the employer as you'll need to pass their gateway to apply for EPA. They may decide to insist you don't until you have 'x' years experience but this would be unreasonable if you can prove you have enough evidence to pass already.

Yes, I've seen some templates of how the EPA will look like with our particular provider.

Thank you for your answer, that's exactly what I was looking for. I've seen some conflicting opinions on different forums as to whether the EPA date is set by the employer, training provider, both, with or without the input of the apprentice etc.

Looking at my current progression and my knowledge of the required KSBs I think I'll easily be able to hit these targets before the time estimated in my contract so I was worried about whether or not the employer or ESFA or the training provider may stop me from doing the EPA once I'm ready.

My contract mentions extending the deadline for the EPA but nothing about doing it early so I wasn't sure if that's even an option.

Anyway, thank you for your answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending