The Student Room Group

Investment banking without a top tier university

I want to go down the path of investment banking, however I have been rejected by my 5 choices for economics on ucas so I’m forced to go into extra or clearing. I am confused wether if I have the opportunity to enter this career pathway now that I have no chance of getting into a top-tier university as all of them do not participate in extra or clearing.

It’s quite disappointing as I worked so hard to achieve 3A*’s and 1A in A-levels and have lost my future plans as a result of not being able to get into a top university, especially since this is my second year of applying I actually suck at making a UCAS application it seems.

At the moment, I have planned to go into Queen Mary for economics but do I realistically have a chance against students from LSE or Cambridge upon job prospects and employability? Would you recommend I complete a masters degree or work a year in industry to up my competitiveness?

What would you do under my situation, are there any better universities or courses I could enter with my grades at this stage?
Hi,

I am really sorry that you have been going through such a stressful situation. From my experience, most companies in the finance sector do not penalise you for the university you attend and are more focused on the grade you are predicted/achieve in your bachelors degree, as well as the experience and the skillset you're bringing.

A great thing to do is to look into summer internship/placement positions as a lot of the time, once you have completed one, the company then offers you a full-time position, for after you graduate. If you need help with finding these opportunities or with writing your applications, then I highly recommend that you take advantage of your university's Careers Hub.

If you enjoy your studies, then yes definitely consider a masters, however, if you are only considering it because you are worried about your employability then I'd recommend not worrying too much about it now and see how you feel about it/what your situation is towards the end of your degree.

I hope that this helps!

- K (BSc Accounting and Finance)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending